California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Experienced bay fisherman

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by vital_kill, Feb 16, 2021.

1. vital_kill

vital_kill Elite Refuge Member

Hey guys,
    Planning a trip to bodega, tomales or half moon bay for some rockfish and crabbing. Thing is, I have never took my boat out into the bay, mostly fish the lakes rivers and delta. I am looking at swell and tide charts carefully trying to plan a day where its not so rough. I have a duckworth 18 advantage with 90hp main, 9.9 kicker and 80lb minnkota. Not sure if my boat is big enough????

2. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

Plenty of boat if you’re not an idiot.

3. Ajnorcal

Ajnorcal Senior Refuge Member

Plentyyyy big on a good day and way too small on a bad one. Pick your days it’s imperative. If you show up and the oceans not doing what the forecast says turn around.

bodega or half moon are pretty straightforward. Tomales and the bar are not a place for inexperienced boaters. It requires attention and a feel for when you can and can’t cross the bar.

JWR, double limit, WILDDUX and 3 others like this.
  4. vital_kill

Thanks guys, made me a little more comfortable. I see kayakers and small skiffs out there and I figured my boat would be able to go as long as I know what to do. Might drag along one of my friend, he is a bay junkie.

5. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

I fish out of Crescent City with a 21 foot north river jet boat. I am pretty cautious and pick my days. I like the waves to be less than six feet, and the swells to be as long as possible. That’s the ideal. I would think wind chop would be your biggest enemy on the bay.

Make sure the GPS is working. Fog can and will roll in. Others here will know much better than I about that area. Good luck!

Thanks Dad/Jack! 3C5073FB-94B2-4166-8233-4B88ABBEDDDC.png

mark seaters, Kornfed, JRS and 3 others like this.
  6. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

You'll need to wait a couple weeks for rockfish: "The recreational fishery for rockfish (Sebastes species) is open year-round to divers and shore-based anglers. This fishery is closed to boat-based anglers from January 1, 2021 through February 28, 2021, and will reopen on March 1, 2021."

Ajnorcal likes this.
  7. 7pntail

7pntail Elite Refuge Member

8. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

Rule of thumb is the square vs the rectangle. If the period matches the height, no bueno. For a comfortable ride, look for the period to be at least twice the swell height. 3 or even 4 times is better.

I've been out in 11 ft swells with 22 second periods (without wind) and it's been pleasant. But, you don't want to get too shallow in those conditions!!!

9. vital_kill

Yes I am aware of that, I am still de-winterizing the boat and need to buy my crab and rockfish gear as I have none, just planning right now so I know if my boat will make it once the season opens up.

10. vital_kill

Red Foot seems like the winter months have better days than the spring, it seems to be way more windy and the swells are more squared than extended. One of my buddies also told me towards the end of the dungy season before summer the crabs have no meat during that time???