extended vs flush-mounted chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Meach, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Meach

Meach Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies. I am going to pattern some. I have been using a flush-mounted Briley LM for years in a SX2 and SX3 with good results. Doesn't hurt to try to find something better.

2. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Ported flush tubes are worthless..

3. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

That's what I used in my SX3. If I did my part, it always did its.

4. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Same here, never took the extended LM Briley out the SX3 the whole season.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

The Briley LM flush tube you have is .015 constriction, I don't know what you exactly want to do pattern wise but if you want to tighten up a bit you may want to try the Briley Improved Modified, flush or extended. The IM tube is .025 constriction, usually around .010 more constriction will tighten up patterns nicely, usually that is!!

7. Meach

10GAGENUT: Not trying to tighten pattern. I probably get about 110 pellets in the 30 in circle at 40 yds. I want a uniformly spread pattern if there is such a thing. I have shot well over 100 patterns and I haven't seen one yet. I have seen some patterns posted as good patterns. And while I don't disagree with that, I have yet to see a pattern that would UNIFORMLY fill a 30 in circle. Like I said may not be possible or consistently possible.

8. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Nope, there isn't!

Some may have more even and/or more consistent pellet distribution than others, but none are truly uniform (if you mean perfect spacing and distribution of each pellet), and patterns are centrally thick (more strikes per sq. inch in the middle than in the outer edge. Remember, the pattern produced by all those pellets is pretty much a random event once the pellets leave the barrel/wad.

All patterns have some holes or areas void of pellet strikes. Patterns with more pellets most always have fewer holes or gaps. So, increasing the number of pellet strikes in the pattern (by increasing in-shell pellet count with smaller pellets, increasing the amount of shot, or tightening the choke to get a higher pattern percentage) normally reduces the number of these, e. g., see Brister or Oberfell and Thompson's work.

Good luck!

JP and Billy Bob like this.
  9. Meach

Joe Hunter: I understand that in general, chokes with more constriction shoot tighter patterns than chokes with less constriction. Other than that if patterns are a random event, (which I also believe) then what does it matter which choke you use? Remember I said some will give you a tighter or more open pattern. Been wondering this for a while. I have shot a fair amount of patterns with different chokes, loads, etc. Looking at the patterns, I sometimes wonder how you ever kill a duck.

10. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Hopefully, the appropriate choke/load/shot size combo allows you to maintain adequate pattern density and sufficient pellet penetrating energy for the distance and bird type you are shooting. Obviously, a good teal load will need more pattern density than a Canada goose load at the same distance. This is where you must make compromises between payload, shot size, and choke to have an effective combo for the majority of your shooting.

Your previously mentioned 110 pattern count will be fine for mallard shooting out to the 40 yards tested as long as you are using pellets capable of sufficient penetration, #3 steel or #2 steel would be preferred here, and you can put the pattern on the front end of the bird!

I may not have been clear, but I was trying to say that pellet distribution, within the pattern, is basically a random event. However, your choke/load/shot size does make a difference in how effective you combo will be at different distances.

Now, I will admit that we all probably make too much over chokes. If most of us had a .010"-.020" choke constriction, we would probably be fine for most normal waterfowl shooting. But, I like many others enjoy fine tuning my equipment to handle the task at hand, so I too pattern many loads/chokes to make sure my equipment choices are adequate for the shooting I'm going to do. Having confidence in my equipment allows me to focus on making the shot, the most important part of this!!!

Good luck!

PS: If you are wondering what adequate pattern density is for various bird types/sizes, you might want to check out Roster's Lethality table.