Fallin' Feather Duck club

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anybody have the lowdown on this place? Good/bad/indifferent I'd like to hear your experience.
Purchased a hunt last night with my hunting buddy at a CWA dinner.
Both of us have hunted both private/public for big game/waterfowl for 40+years on the West coast and have always wanted to visit AR for a timber hunt, thus here is our chance.
Thanks fellas, Steve

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Anybody have the lowdown on this place? Good/bad/indifferent I'd like to hear your experience.
Purchased a hunt last night with my hunting buddy at a CWA dinner.
Both of us have hunted both private/public for big game/waterfowl for 40+years on the West coast and have always wanted to visit AR for a timber hunt, thus here is our chance.
Thanks fellas, Steve

I’ll be happy to ask Jimbo about them, but I wouldn’t go expecting a timber hunt. They focus on geese, and it doesn’t appear they have any private timber. If I’m right, the only chance of a timber hunt would be on public ground, and a lot of that is off limits to guiding. The video segment with Jim is obviously on public ground, but it could have been WMA since it wasn’t a guide deal.

There are only a couple of guide services I’d book a hunt with expecting a good timber hunt. There’s just not a lot of private timber available, and it’s so expensive an outfitter has a hard time making any margin on it. A lot of what were once in the hands of outfitters have become private clubs.

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’ll be happy to ask Jimbo about them, but I wouldn’t go expecting a timber hunt. They focus on geese, and it doesn’t appear they have any private timber. If I’m right, the only chance of a timber hunt would be on public ground, and a lot of that is off limits to guiding. The video segment with Jim is obviously on public ground, but it could have been WMA since it wasn’t a guide deal.

There are only a couple of guide services I’d book a hunt with expecting a good timber hunt. There’s just not a lot of private timber available, and it’s so expensive an outfitter has a hard time making any margin on it. A lot of what were once in the hands of outfitters have become private clubs.
Thank you Bill.
I kinda feel disenfranchised as I/we were under the impression it's a timber hunt just like it states on the flyer, damn.
Thank you for your response, although it leaves me with hands wringing, it's certainly appreciated.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thank you Bill.
I kinda feel disenfranchised as I/we were under the impression it's a timber hunt just like it states on the flyer, damn.
Thank you for your response, although it leaves me with hands wringing, it's certainly appreciated.
Maybe I’m mistaken. I got that from their website.

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m mistaken. I got that from their website.
Really should have explored their website prior to my/our purchase.
I see nothing but specs/snows, which I can do on the west coast with my eyes closed.
Flooded timber was my hunt expectation and I will follow up asap with those responsible.
Thanks again Bill, I, as always, respect your thoughts.
Steve

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I tell people all the time to be VERY careful booking “AR timber hunts.” A lot of outfitters will have a bunch of rice fields and a small block of private timber or a blind in a cypress break. Odds are the small block is only worth hunting a day or two each season, and, while I love hunting in cypress, it ain’t green timber.

Ange

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have seen actual guided green timber hunts on private land go for $800 a morning plus tip. The last time I checked the bonafide privatw GTR hunts were in the range of $500-$800 per morning. Anything less would make me suspicious. I know of a Private GTR club in AR with a $250K entry fee a $750K to $1 Million buy in. I am betting Bill knows of these high dollar digs and has popped a coupla three Ducks in some of them. It’s amazing to this S AR redneck what a man will do to kill a Duck in actual flooded timber.

Brottboss

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Never been to the south, hell, I haven't been east of the Mississippi!
Spoke with the outfitter, and yes there is green timber available, but if the birds aren't using it neither will we, which will be just fine.
Looking forward to visiting AR, as it's a bucket list item for most waterfowlers myself included.
Leaning more towards late season as big game takes precedence starting Oct-Dec.
should be a fun time.
In the meantime I feel like my beard game isn't up to par with AR, but I'll try lol.
The southern experience for this CA fella will be great, I have no doubts.

Small Bore Hunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
AR my favorite OOS hunt area. We love timber but depending on weather have been forced to fields, but always hunted the timber if sun was shining. I hate to admit but don’t budget hunt for ducks. A high dollar hunt does not guarantee you will kill ducks but you should have a good time. Check some references.

Josh carpenter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Never been to the south, hell, I haven't been east of the Mississippi!
Spoke with the outfitter, and yes there is green timber available, but if the birds aren't using it neither will we, which will be just fine.
Looking forward to visiting AR, as it's a bucket list item for most waterfowlers myself included.
Leaning more towards late season as big game takes precedence starting Oct-Dec.
should be a fun time.
In the meantime I feel like my beard game isn't up to par with AR, but I'll try lol.
The southern experience for this CA fella will be great, I have no doubts.
Good luck keep us posted