Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Family Crest

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Ducker 4 Ever, May 20, 2019.

1. Ducker 4 Ever

Ducker 4 Ever Elite Refuge Member

I saw someone mention in the duckslayer tattoo thread about having a family crest tattooed on their chest. It got me to thinking, how many of you guys have a family crest? I don't know of one for my family and it honestly seems like a silly thing to me, most likely because we don't have one. I suppose if it was some kind of family tradition, I'd understand it more.

What're your experiences?

2. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

I don’t but a buddy does. He and his wife have it tattooed and his son and daughter have it. Plus his brothers and other family have it. I think it’s a pretty cool tradition, if you don’t mind tattoos

3. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

4CEB1BE5-BBBC-4ABD-9834-CA85567FDBBC.gif

BJH, Bear, WHUP ! Hen and 10 others like this.
  4. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

A lot of depends on one's heritage. I was just in Ireland and I could find my family crest on just about every knick knack sold in every tourist shop.

My surname is common enough that the crest and name don't convey much sense of ancestry or heritage. I regularly encounter complete strangers in daily life who are "relatives"...

5. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

6. Vahunter

Vahunter Elite Refuge Member

I'm in the same boat. My surname is in the top five of the English speaking world. The crest doesn't convey much of anything. In fact, many people with the name are Scandinavian and there about 4 ways to spell it.
    Point is, you'd need to have a pretty uncommon name for it to mean anything.

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Out of curiosity, I looked up my family crest and there were at least 4 that were different. Originally, the name came from Scandinavia but with the Norse invasions, there were settlements in England, Ireland and Germany. There were about a half dozen spelling variations also. Most in the US are from MN & WI. It use to be a unique name here in the south but now, not so much.

8. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member

My buddy, who is of Irish descent, has his family crest tattooed on his arm.

9. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I’ve always thought it a cool idea, but being Norwegian and Native American, I don’t have anything of the sort I could do myself. I just figure my love of winter, root vegetables, pickled fish, alcohol, and gambling are tribute enough to my heritage.

JP and Wareagle1 like this.
  10. jreif14

jreif14 Senior Refuge Member

B05DED0E-E9CD-4342-B173-53C0EDFD4F39.jpeg

That is my family’s crest. I love it and I am very proud of it, but I don’t think I would ever get it tattooed on me.

seiowa and GK1 like this.