Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Favorite blind set up.for waterfowl

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Little Ruddy, May 2, 2021.

1. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Mine is an open water stationary blind with lots of decoys and any thing coming down the pike to shoot at. Others like to timber,pot hole or jump shoot. Some hunt only fields for waterfowl. Others hunt out of floaters and chase the birds at different locations. Lets hear your favorite hunting set ups.

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

When we hunt in “foreign” areas we like to kinda go commando. Hunker down in the weeds, cattails, behind fallen trees. We have just sat or laid down bare *** naked. On the home ground we have a 16x8 heated blind with cooking facilities and even a cot for the old man, me. It hunts 3 very comfortably.

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

For old times sake Hard to beat a traditional boat in a Minnesota or Dakota cattail marsh.

A guide gave me instructions and location to build a stilt blind. When the water was low shooting down on decoying birds was so neat. One Saturday another group of hunters were trying to find the blind and wanted to flip for it,,, we already had 229 decoys out. I invited them to hunt with us.
    But their demeaner wasn't so nice.

I enjoyed hunting out of the 2- pits in northern Utah no longer legal,, too much arguing.

My goose pit is great. fits my daughter, granddaughter , dog, me ands a heater
    You may have seen this pic, 5 years ago 5802.jpeg 585011.jpeg

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Favorite is leaning against a tree and kicking water. Then it's big blinds, boat blinds and rich pits. After that it's the other myriad ways I've had a ball hunting ducks.

newduk, wtrfwlr43, Buster_AZ and 3 others like this.
  5. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

layout blind (lower than natural grass)
    on a Salt Marsh Pond.

For geese a Big Eastern Shore pit blind with 3 or 4 friends

cooking meals and swapping lies

6. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

I enjoy the boat blind. Granted it’s all we really use since we mostly hunt public. I enjoy the boat ride most days n like being able to move spot to spot if need arises. But in the end I’ll sit just about anywhere if we’re killing ducks.

7. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

In the rice blind, throw a few hundred decoys out and hunt the weather and pick them up at the end of the season. In the natural blind, throw a few dozen decoys out and move them around a lot, pick them up at the end of the season. When I am on the move, no more than a dozen decoys.

8. Fogie

Fogie Senior Refuge Member

The fast lil' river changes, jumps banks during summer floods every year.
    I will cruise up and down river below camp some and figure the best place to cut down arroweed, collect tumbleweeds etc. and build something that hides us and gives view of North and South.
    Very few decoys are only for causing a tip of the wings in our favor maybe and to give them something to look at besides us while streaking through, flying from horse farm fields South and golf courses to the North vice versa. No calling, they usually are not looking for places to land. It can be slow or great.
    Mornings are for standing, the rest of the day is glassing/spot and stalk for birds dumb enough to land outside of their sanctuaries. We always tear them up, get most of my birds that way.

I have a buddy who shoots birds at will, kayaking and jumping them on Lake Mojave, part of LMNRA. Limits of mallards, teal and cans are guaranteed, could do it everyday of the season...yep. Park birds though, the same mallards that will land on my trolled lines begging for cheetos. Not for me, he just can't understand it and the GF is about to commit mutiny for me refusing to do it. May have to relent some, let her shoot out the front of my aluminum.

Also hunt further North a bit, shooting birds passing over dykes/dikes? (lol) and jumping sloughs.
    No hassling with decoys or blowing calls there, either.

9. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Elite Refuge Member

A lot of times now a days I try to hunt a tree line on a field edge and lean up against a tree in the shadows. If I’m hunting any kind of flooded corn or other vegetation, it’s gotta be a “Kecks Marsh special”. A few on here know what I am referring to

Last edited: May 2, 2021
  10. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

Leaned up on a tree or some other natural hide
    EA5F831E-9EC8-4AA0-9714-4CD295C2601B.jpeg