Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Favorite blind set up.for waterfowl

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Little Ruddy, May 2, 2021.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

Every day is different. Probably 10 or 12 different setups dependent on the species and who I am hunting with. Layouts, goose chairs, pits, natural cover, boat, kayak, canoe, a-frame, concrete wire and chicken wire round bale, layout boat, chair in reeds, body booting (not by choice), can be the choice on any given day.

2. yeehaw

yeehaw Senior Refuge Member

I spend the majority of my time hunting out of layout boats, so much so I have a rough time shooting from any other position. Sitting in a regular blind or standing to shoot just feels awkward, but it’s sure nice to stroll into a spot and have the spread already set and a nice heater going, even if I can't shoot to save my life!

3. Larry Welch

Larry Welch Senior Refuge Member

After a chilling boat ride, setting several dozen decoys, getting in a layout boat in little chop and wind in mid teens or a little higher. Watching the sun rise and preparing your mind cause when they come they'll be on the deck at Mach 1. Choosing the correct time to sit up can be challenging. But if you time it right, it's awesome, fast, in your face action.

4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

20210126_081353.jpg

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  5. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Elite Refuge Member

Dang AB, all them feathers on the water… you a water swatter?

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Bet it was during the molt. There's a spell every January when roost holes are full of feathers.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Damned ol' hen plucker, he is.

salthunter likes this.
  8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

It's always interesting to hear the different ways of hunting other folks enjoy. I'd quit duck hunting if they wouldn't work a call, but obviously we are all a little different.

Fogie and creedsduckman like this.
  9. KAHunter

KAHunter Elite Refuge Member

Box blind on the edge of a marsh in NE NC has been our go to for years. I now hunt layouts and impoundments and used to hunt some timber (which i hope to get back to one day) but a marsh blind is where my heart is. My family has been hunting the same spot for over 40 years. Its not always the best, but when its good, its hard to beat. The variety is what is really neat. One day you are killing mallards feet down in the decoys, the next its big balls of teal landing in the geese to blackheads screaming through at mach 3.

10. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Done them all. Layout, seats, pit, tree line, big pull behind trailer in Canada. My Favorite.. In the flooded timber in a nice blind cooking is nice. We have two new rice field pits now that are easy to infil and exfil, allow us to stay very warm and dry with a big spreads on both. They both have cooking areas too!