Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Favorite blind set up.for waterfowl

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Little Ruddy, May 2, 2021.

1. Fogie

Fogie Senior Refuge Member

Yep...I like reading about the ways it is done on here, very entailed and a lot of hard work in ways other than my physical kind.
    I guess I like the challenge of pass shooting birds moving flat out and then sneaking with the dog...forcing the issue. Just the way I taught myself cause nobody taught me anything.

2. sharkman

sharkman Elite Refuge Member

Corn bale blind w/heater, when it gets nasty cold. 20191110_100712.jpg

3. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

I’ve owned and hunted layout blinds (can’t shoot out of them worth a damned); Avery folding blinds can be sweet; 2-4 man rice tanks, which are great for the camaraderie; tule seats in the reeds, how we usually hunt; and, for two seasons, running our boat up river and then tucking back in the bank to shoot over a handful of decoys. I’ll take my birds any way I can get them.

JHS76 likes this.
  4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I do enjoy a comfortable field hunt from a layout too,. as long as I can get up over my covid belly.
    While goose hunting with a guide this spring,, even the guide had tough times sitting up and getting on target

I enjoy lots of different "being there"

My daughters ands some of my closer hunting friends know Im about working geese into close range and dont know any different when hunting with me.
    Some guys it drives them nuts passing on those over the head 30-50 yard shots , or circling wide at 35 . Too many think its all about shooting

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  5. CapnJim

CapnJim Senior Refuge Member

One of Perry Wood's big pine sapling box blinds on the Currituck Sound that keeps you comfortable all day and a full belly.
    Boat blinds are about the only way to hunt on my home waters or hide the boat and stand on the hill.
    Pit blind in the Missouri bootheel and of course leaning against the tree kicking water somewhere within a few miles of the Mississippi.
    Also, those giant generational blinds in the same general areas.
    Starting to get worked up just thinking about it.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Been thinking on the question, and believe my favorite blind set-up has been "the mudhole":
    upload_2021-5-3_12-56-8.jpeg

Takes a fair bit of time and effort, but usually cleans up pretty well:

upload_2021-5-3_13-0-6.jpeg

This past one was my 14th of hunting it every open duck morning, so I've gotten most of the kinks worked out of making it a safe, comfortable spot for guests of most any age and aptitude to shoot some ducks and maybe a goose or two.

But my second favorite blind setup would have to be no blind at all, I've no longer ready access to flooded trees to lean on and, instead, lean heavily on natural "spider hole" hides in otherwise wide open spaces, like water control cuts in rice field levees:
    upload_2021-5-3_13-10-47.jpeg

Or lacking natural aid, nothing but a crude ghillie cape of die-cut spun nylon camo with handfuls of natural grass z-tied to clothes pins attached to it to kneel and bow under. Well, that's lie. I used to kneel, but now do my bowing astraddle a 10" tall plastic shell box that's a whole lot easier on the knees and seems less worrisome to most birds than laying under a similar ghillie blanket and affords easier gunning.

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We had an old manure pile on a huge dairy in Washington,..Our best hide was between the dump mounds. It looked similar as your pic in the early fall
    The old man died this winter,..We had exclusive permission for over 30 years, family said he was done hunting their

8. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Interesting ready the different styles and methods used to get a shot on birds. Being on the lower Chesapeake Bay Western Shore, we grew up hunting from either fixed blinds or floaters. But about twenty five years ago, I switched exclusively to permanent blinds that are really comfortable to hunt out of. We don't have near the numbers of birds that we use to so it takes alot of patience and determination to sit them out. I have a strong interest in building duck blinds and I know I have built close to a hundred over forty years of hunting. Thousands of pines,cedars and Leyland cypress to brush blinds. All worth it if you get the conditions just right. Its a labor of love...that's what sets waterfowlers apart from the rest of the world.

9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I'm with you, put me in the marsh on a cold sunny day with a good stiff NW wind shooting wigeon and gadwall with a few teal and pintails mixed in and you can't wipe the smile off my face. Same with the variety too, I've always said that's what makes this area so neat. The marsh blind that I was fortunate to be able to hunt for many many years I've killed every kind of duck that frequents this area and many swan. I can remember one 3 man limit with 8 different species. Had the chance at a snow goose and a white winged scoter there but screwed up both chances and seems every time a honker is in range the season is out. All three have been killed there but I wasn't on the hunts.

I've hunted bush blinds, float blinds, body booted, field hunted Canada, shot flooded corn impoundments, curtain blinds on OBX, goose pits on the eastern shore.... it's all fun and I'd do it all again. I just love shooting ducks, geese and swan. I'd really like to hunt flooded timber and cypress swamp and a few other things one day.

dog duck gun and da grouch like this.
  10. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

As a younger man my favorite was my boat blind out on lake winnishiek, (pool 9 on the Mississippi), guarding longlines of canvasbacks and bluebills. Now in middle age it's sitting in my house blind on the west side of my folks lake with my lab Ollie.