Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Favorite blind set up.for waterfowl

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Little Ruddy, May 2, 2021.

1. Nick87

Nick87 New Member

My favorite is standing corn in the edge of other picked corn or where it's flooded. Unfortunately I'm only able to do it a couple weeks out of the year. Otherwise its homemade a frame style blinds.

mpkowal likes this.
  2. Small Bore Hunter

Small Bore Hunter Senior Refuge Member

My all time favorite was floating blind made out of 6 metal drums. Blind 8’ long, boat blind 14’ long. Hunting in field flooded by river. That was 35 years ago. Now boat with Avery blind and 12 to 18 cork decoys. Secret is to have comfortable seats in boat. If very shallow water go to waders. I hate a pit. I loath a 10 to 12 man blind. To me a 12 man blind with 800 decoys and 15 robo’s turns a hunting trip into work, but good heat, big screen TV and bathroom makes it nice if kids are hunting. To each his own.

3. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

I prefer hunting out of blinds where you don't have to wear waders. I hate waders! Since I don't have time, nor the money for a blind spot. I hunt pubic land standing next to trees. I sure do miss hunting blinds though.

JHS76 and riverrat47 like this.
  4. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

Natural cover. I read in an article once that the best way to ruin a good duck spot was to build a blind on it. Now I realize a lot of places that doesn't apply, but up here in definitely does. Everything we hunt is public.
    Our best blind we've never had to compete for, or had anyone else set up in. It's been active for 50yrs. But you'd never know it was a blind unless you walked into it. It would be nice to be able to hunt it and stay out of the rain, or work a stove without flaring birds, but the minute we built anything there it would be the first spot people came back to.

We will build semi-permanent boat blinds from time to time, but they are just natural cover drive-in deals. Make a frame by driving poles in the "loon$#*!" and brushing it in. Beavers and ice do clean-up when the season is done.
    I scouted a spot one year just prior to my buddy coming up for our week long duck hunting ritual. The ringers were thick but there were also puddlers and geese.. and they were fresh after a weekend of shooting. He was coming up mid-week and I though I was being smart by going and building the blind after all the weekend traffic had left ( Iwould let it sit and save the 1st shoot) but I guess some guys saw me run up the lake. They knew I was in camp and shot it Tues. morning. I didn't hunt, but saw their boat come back out. I went up after and there were empty hulls all over the place. If they did it right they coulda limited and got the hell out, but they probably didn't even camo the boat. They shot it to hell.

There are lots of places and opportunities to build a permanent blind that would do really well. But in a place where they are not common they would also draw attention to a place that otherwise probably wouldn't have it.

5. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

This may sound cheesy but the best set up is anyplace you’re with good friends and or family & you have a smile on your face.

6. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I've posted these pics before, but this is my favorite. Sure, I enjoy freelancing, using my boat blind, walking in somewhere etc but the permanent blinds, when all the sweat equity is done, is a nice comfortable "home" to have.
    39185.jpeg 39184.jpeg

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

That is very similar to the open water binds used here. They probably aren't as big as that and nobody uses permanent spreads (assuming yours is permanent). Most are built to hunt 3-4 guys and hide an 18-24ft boat. Predominantly bushed using pine bushes but some guys have started using palms fronds.

dog duck gun likes this.
  8. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yes sir, permanent spread.
    I typically build the blinds 8ft x 12ft and the attatched boat hide 8ft x 20ft.

creedsduckman likes this.
  9. Missy Skeeter

Missy Skeeter Senior Refuge Member

My favorite is a low profile...I think ducks learn after getting shot around high profile, large rectangular blinds.
    I noticed that after switching from a standard rectangular boat blind to laying out, I shoot more adult birds and shots are closer.
    In mud flats with lots of swans, I lay out with a white parka on.

I also like the blind cross-wind to the dekes, so birds working into the
    dekes are not looking directly at the blind.

JHS76 and creedsduckman like this.
  10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Been in Idaho 22 years, and other than periodic forays down south (Klamath Basin, California) we hunt public and have to make our own hide every time. I used to hunt maybe 30% of the time out of a boat blind but those days are gone. Our go-to around here for years has been layouts but the last two seasons I have used the Tanglefree Panel Blind. I always take the cordless hedge trimmer so the blind is grassed over with whatever natural cover exists in the place we are hunting. When you put the blind up against a high bank or situate it in the middle of tall cover it just disappears. I have found the blind deadly and since me and my partners are over 60 (except for the kid who just turned 50) we appreciate sitting upright on blind chairs instead of hunkering in layouts.