Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Favorite blind set up.for waterfowl

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Little Ruddy, May 2, 2021.

1. Southern Quacker

Southern Quacker Refuge Member

A Fresh Hardwood Bottom Flooded about 12" Deep....Leanin' against a BIG Water Oak....with 100 pounds of Corn Scattered about....Waaaaaaay BACK in a Spot in Alabam'!!!

2. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

Boat blind... the top pic is looking at a creek that winds back to an ash swamp/drainage that leads back to a series of beaver ponds. The 2nd pic is looking just left of the 1st. That marsh stretches back about a kilometre and becomes dry, but it stops about a quarter mile from the main lake. Both act as flyways, but the birds like to work this spot where the pads meet open water.. about 60yds from any cover. So we make cover ;)
    CIMG3261.JPG CIMG3260.JPG

Reelcranky and creedsduckman like this.
  3. JHS76

JHS76 Refuge Member

My favorite set up is hiding behind the cattails on a small reservoir full of green wing teal.

Behind a cypress tree on a Mississippi River Oxbow.

Behind a tree in an Arkansas flooded timber hole.

In a 10' long pit 360° shots on a rice field.

4. ibfowl

ibfowl Senior Refuge Member

An above ground blind in little tule/ beaver pond.

JHS76 likes this.
  5. dwr353

dwr353 Senior Refuge Member

Pit blind, platform, or boat blind only for me. No waders, standing in water, mud, etc. My Lab picks up birds. Did the hard stuff in my youth. Wisdom, age, and $$$ made the change for me.

6. Mudtoes

Mudtoes Senior Refuge Member

After this year any blind that has a seat. Real close to 70, and after this year decide layouts are not for me. Laying in one cold morning this past December I’m calling in a flock of Specks, circle once and set their wings. Sit up and as I do my the front left upper thigh spasms up big time. In excruciating discomfort I roll two and try to get up and get rid of the cramp. Right calf decides, let’s make this interesting and cramp up too. So now I’m stumbling around in this plowed rice stubble attempting to straighten out two legs. Done with them, 2 will be on the market this year.

riverrat47 likes this.
  7. Northhunter

Northhunter Senior Refuge Member

Being dehydrated will do that.

Growing up I would spend all day ice fishing. Hike through snow and bush, cut firewood, drill holes, run after lines, pull snowmachines out of slush... and because it was cold I would drink nothing but a couple cups of hot chocolate. I would pay for it at night laying on the couch.. cramps so bad my quads would feel like they were gonna tear trying to tie themselves into knots.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I primarily hunt open water or mixed marsh ponds with small-island double-barrel blinds... Green-wing teal are my staple bird, with a fair number of widgeon, sprig and canvasbacks thrown in the mix.

Not a typical limit, especially in November from last season, but does show the blind, and the dog's hide well.
    lame-nov-18-20.jpg

More typical (good) limit.
    Kisa-12-24-2017.jpg

I enjoy hunting tight tule ponds, and being well-hidden in a tule patch though... Unfortunately, we just have not had the mallard numbers to make that type of hunting as appealing in recent years. This is the only picture I could find that shows my hide/blind in such an area. Montey1-18-14.jpg

Had some fun shoots in some foothill farm ponds, and shooting some creek bottoms... Once again, one of the few pictures, I could find that shows (at least a little) of the area. This was a memorable day, as I had family obligations, and was getting tight on time... I had passed up widgeon early, but having 10 minutes before I had to leave, a flock of widgeon came in, and I did not pass. Used a timer to take the picture, and did not realize goofy I looked... Memorable hunt though.
    Hunting-1-26-14.jpg

JHS76 and riverrat47 like this.
  9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

I have small 3 man blinds. Perfect for two hunters, a dog, cinnamon rolls and hot coffee. Sometimes we even shoot a few ducks.
    686E3C8A-3501-4EA3-9AE6-13B1846808E6.jpeg C27C8ED9-B5C1-4170-86D7-504A0A8EE5F1.jpeg

Squaller, riverrat47 and Reelcranky like this.
  10. AU Buckshot

AU Buckshot New Member

D84204FD-C096-4495-907D-01B03A4C88BB.jpeg
    My pal in our ‘duck hole’.
    We like to get after them in the buck brush!!

Reelcranky, JHS76, riverrat47 and 3 others like this.