Favorite Goose Loads

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Family Man, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

He doesn't hunt center dike! lol lol Sorry big B i just couldn't help myself.

#4's at close range are just devastating on geese. #1's pattern very well through my ole stand by gun out to 40 yards with a Pattern Master.

2. Raininfeathers

Raininfeathers Senior Refuge Member

Damn skybusters and their heavyloads! LOL! J/K Josh:flame

3. Extex

Extex Elite Refuge Member

20 ga - I like a load of 7/8 oz drylock #2's. Black cloud 2's are bad medicine although you better shoot straight :D very small pattern! The best I have found though is tungsten 3's or hevi shot 4's - expensive but work very well in my gun.

In 12 ga I have shot some of the new remington hyper in BB and wow! Thought I was shooting turkey express loads and it looked like it literally knocked the geese backwards - devastating.

None of the kent loads pattern worth a crap in my guns - thats my excuse anyway LOL! but ol meat & taters has took many with a load of 3 inch kent #2s!

As in big game I dont think the size of the bullet or the package is as important as delivery location is ;) My lil 20 ga is teaching me that constantly!

4. Paddler

Paddler Banned

You should have come along this afternoon. It was a nice hike, and I saw lots of chukar turds. I can post the photos if you like. It's kinda like they say. See one and you've seen 'em all.;)

5. dubob

dubob Senior Refuge Member

Many years ago when Environmetal first introduced HeviShot, I bought a case and took it to Canada to try out on Canada geese, Specs, and snows. I have not used anything else on geese since that first use. I shoot 2 3/4 inch shells loaded with 1 1/4 ounces of #4 shot. They will kill a goose reliably out to 80 yards if centered in the pattern. A friend paced off a snow goose shot that was passing left to right level at about 15 feet off the ground because he couldn't believe the distance unless he paced it off. He counted off 82 paces and he is 6 feet tall. This morning I dropped a Canada goose that snuck in behind us about 4 feet off the deck and turned straight away as soon as my blind cover flew up. He hit the deck between 60 and 70 yards going dead away and was DOA.

Does it cost more than steel? You bet. Does it do the job when the birds just will not decoy into steel shot range? Again, you bet. If you can always pass on shooting at birds that don't come within 35 yards as Paddler does, then you can probably get by with steel 4's. I prefer to use a load that will perform in almost any situation that comes my way.

The cost of ammunition is almost always the cheapest part of any goose hunting expedition I go on even when it's HeviShot. So that is my load of choice. And you can get it in a 20 Gauge shell as well.

And of the 3 factory chokes that came with my Beretta AL 390 Silver Mallard, pattern testing showed the MOD choke to give the best patterns in my gun.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.