Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Favorite Hunt Michigan Ultimate Mixed Bag (6 Species) Limited Out on Public Land

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Everydaylimits, Nov 1, 2020.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

No doubt, but I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. Since then he has asked for input and subsequently ignored all of it while trying to grow his footprint. I'll go ahead and watch at least some of this latest one, but if it's as bad as comments indicate, I won't bother clicking on another. Right now he's just hitting the fringes by getting a tiny bit of free stuff or a discount on, mostly, off-brand products. If he doesn't get better, he'll lose those and be paying some tickets.

CJW, Lip Shooter and Don Smith like this.
  2. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

One of his sponsors is getting a dime dropped on this thread, today.

3. JJVizinat

JJVizinat Senior Refuge Member

Just stop...

The dude doesn’t care about killing ducks, he cares about the clout.

My season opens this weekend, I’ll be to busy slaughtering ducks and having fun to film. It will be over a 100 bird weekend. He won’t kill that man y’all yr.

4. bill cooksey

Watched about ten minutes, and I'll offer three thoughts:
    1. I now have some idea of what a back alley abortion looks like.
    2. Both shoot like they have a strong Greek bloodline.
    3. Easy should take Claritin D24 to clear up those sinus issues.

5. Ruination

Ruination Elite Refuge Member

Aight. Explain the Greek joke.

6. bill cooksey

Shot in the @$$...

First heard on a pheasant hunt in CA over 30 years ago. Guys walking a line, and a rooster gets up. Closest guy centers the tail at 15 yards, and an older guy said, " Holy $#!+, he shot that bird like a Greek; right in the @$$!"

7. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

We call that a Texas heart shot here in Nevada!

8. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

As others have mentioned, lots of long shots. The birds appear to be skirting your decoys or staying far above them. There are only two reasons that happens. Either the birds see you and/or the decoys are not positioned correctly.

Hide better and don’t stand up and start tracking birds with your barrel when they are still 150 yards out. In one of your other threads, you mentioned that you aren’t flaring birds... Well, you have to surprise them to flare them and when they see you from 200 yards out, they aren’t going to be surprised, they are just going to stay what they feel is a “safe” distance of 50-75 yards away from you and either fly that high over the top of you or skirt that far around you. Hide better and don’t move until the birds are in range and you’re ready to shoot.

How far away from you are you placing your spinners? How far away is the farthest decoy from where you were sitting? It’s hard to tell exactly from the video, but it looked like your spinners and a lot of your decoys were pretty far away from where you were sitting. The way you were set up, even the ducks that didn’t see you wanted to land on the outside of your spread because of how it was set up. Spinners look like landing ducks to real ducks and real ducks like to land where other ducks are landing, so put the spinners where you would like the ducks to try to land instead of on the edges of your spread. Decide where the “kill hole” is going to be based on wind direction, sun, etc. and use your decoys, the wind, terrain and the natural tendencies of ducks to get them to position themselves for an easy shot. So when placing decoys remember to put the spinners where you want them to try to land, ducks want to land into the wind, and puddle ducks have a tendency to land behind birds that are already on the water.

I would suggest that you don’t place any decoy farther than about 35 yards from where you are sitting and that you hold off on shooting at anything that isn’t over the decoys. If the birds aren’t flying over the decoys, hide better.

Honestly, if you were in a blind with me, taking shots like 90% of what I’ve seen in your videos, I’d confiscate your shells and only allow you to have one at a time until you demonstrated some restraint on the long shots... They aren’t going to come into 20-30 when you start shooting at them at 50+.

As others have mentioned, never a good idea to take pictures/video of yourself committing game violations, and even a worse idea to post pictures/video of such on the internet. Do lots of folks shoot “group limits?” Sure, but lots of folks get busted for it every year too.

9. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

im also in the ‘video everything’ generation, but I don’t video everything. Age isn’t an excuse to cut corners and ignore advice. My season hasn’t opened yet so I’m certainly not jealous of him. The guy is ignoring advice, and dare I say it, tradition, in the way he’s hunting. All for a few clicks.

wprebeck, dwhauss, CJW and 1 other person like this.
  10. Everydaylimits

Everydaylimits Senior Refuge Member

So you guys dont want me to let them work in and land in the decoys and shoot them but on the other hand you think im skybusting. None of these birds were past 35 yards with the exception of maybe the wigeon. The gopro makes shots seem a lot further then they really are and anyone that has used or seen gopro footage before knows about this.
    We do not party hunt limits. It is also against the law to claim a bird as your own bag if your not sure your the one that actually took it. This is why at 11 whomever got the last bird would get it. I do understand how this could end up a bad situation fast though and will not do this again. But what is the lesser of two evils...claiming a bird in your bag that your not sure if your the one that shot it or both seeing who will take the last bird. Im guessing you will say the first is the better option as it is the only for sure way that you know you will not end up over a limit.
    You guys can hate on my calling all you want but its just more practice and what better way to practice than in the field listening to ducks and trying to emulate them. Seeing what works on real life ducks and what doesnt.