Favorite semi auto

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Eyehunter83, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Eyehunter83

Eyehunter83 New Member

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and looking at purchasing my first semi auto in the next couple months. The benelli SBE3 fits me like a glove but I'm a little concerned about some of the reviews I've read on it regarding patterning high. I've looked at the franchi affinity and the benelli m2 as other options. Any other ones I should be considering? And any first hand reviews on the SBE3?

Thanks

2. Seahawk18

Seahawk18 Senior Refuge Member

Franchi Affinity. Great gun at half the price of an SBE 3.

3. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

I run SBE but beretta 400 extrema plus is worth looking at, less recoil then a inertia gun. My buddies SBE3 was shooting off until we got the drop and cast set right for him he loves it.

creedsduckman likes this.
  4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The SBE III shooting high saga is more a result of owners not understanding the function of the bag of shims that came with their shotgun more than anything else.

The MII is an awesome shotgun and my pick for a 12 gauge inertia shotgun. Having owned multiple Franchi S/A’s the quality is several steps down. To that point, of four owned three had choke tubes that were eccentric with the bore. This means they could never shoot POA to POI and the only viable fix was a replacement barrel.

My Berettas are the top of the pile for gas-operation S/A’s but do have a different feel than a Benelli when it comes to pointing abilities. Try both to see how they shake out for you.

BTW, if you feel the need for 3 1/2” cartridges, the 10 gauge is a totally superior option unless substandard patterns and recoil energy force approaching that of the.338 Winchester Magnum rifle (3 1/2” 12 gauge cartridges) is attractive.

jzoo likes this.
  5. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I had a SBE 1 & 2 I liked both guns, but my two shoulder surgeries had me switched to a Browning Silver gas gun. This gun reminds me a lot of the Benelli’s. BUT I haven’t shot it yet, we’ll have to see.

6. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I have the sbe3 bought it when it first came out had to mess with the shims but now it's fine I love the gun... I also have a vinci it's a great gun too... but a m2 is a great gun also... I'm a benelli & beretta fan love their guns... but I hear great things about the franchi affinity might be my next gun in a 20

7. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

It sounds like you're only considering inertia guns. That's fine if you think they're better, but you're leaving a ton a good options on the shelf that may fit and shoot much better for you. If people have fed you the classic lines of gas guns being unreliable or hard to clean they are talking about guns from 20+ years ago. The big companies all make extremely good guns now, and as all things mechanical go, every model has its lemons including the heralded Benelli.
    I'd expand your search a bit and shoulder a bunch of other brands (Beretta, Browning, Remington, Winchester, Weatherby). Finding one that fits you perfectly and feels "alive" in your hands will be much more important than it's action type. The results may surprise you and you'll be much happier in the long run than trying to force a gun to fit you.

Tuleman, QuaaackerJack and Drake91 like this.
  8. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

I think a beretta a350 xterma is a great gas gun for the price my dad has one an never cleans it an it goes boom all the time

SkolMNDuckHunter likes this.
  9. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

If the SBE3 fits you and you like it, see if there's anyone in your area that has one (I don't see where you're from). I've fired a hunting partner's SBE, and it fired fine. I ended up with the Franchi Intensity (inertia) as my primary gun, and SX3s (gas) as backups. Love them .....

10. 5 stand

5 stand New Member