Favorite semi auto

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Eyehunter83, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I’ve been shooting 10 gauges since I was 13 years old and that’s when I got a used H&R Sportsman’s Long Range. It made a turkey and goose killer out of me. It my late teens I got a BPS 10 gauge and it allowed me to kill more in a sitting. Couple years later I bought an SP10 and it handled much better than the BPS but felt like it’s cycle time was a tad slow. Next was the Gold 10. I already knew how to hunt and judge distance when shooting past the normal maximum ranges for 12, but this gun seem to make it feel like I was cheating, cause it shot and handled so good. A friend of mine(10gagenut) let me try several of his hand loads and it was truly remarkable what can be achieved with steel shot.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  2. bbfky

bbfky Elite Refuge Member

I used to have several boxes of 3.5 7.5s in lead and they were deadly at crazy distances on doves. those high flying doves never stood a chance :l

Joe, any change you could load some 8 shot for me for dove season for the high flyers ;)

3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

FIFY

Sunklands likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

The Glock's of the shotgun world.:l:l:l

Sunklands, Drake91 and Billy Bob like this.
  5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I think the US Distributors pay for national advertising....that would come out of their profit.

6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

7. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

The guns maybe ugly, they work and at least I don't live in California not that there is anything wrong with that:eek:.

mudhen and Sunklands like this.
  8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

There is no "best gun." If there was, most of us would be shooting it, and this thread would be much shorter. There probably is a "best gun for you" though.

Inertia guns have the reputation of being more reliable, easier to clean, and recoiling more. Were I to purchase an inertia gun I would look at:
    • Benelli
    • Franchi
    • Browning (new A-5)

Gas operated guns tend to be a bit more fickle about cleaning (and take longer to clean), and have the reputation of being less reliable. They also recoil noticeably less that inertia guns.

I would look at:
    • Beretta
    • Browning (Maxus family)
    • Remington (Versa Max or V3)
    • Winchester (SX-3 or SX-4)

I currently shoot a Beretta, but were I to get a new gun, it would either be in the Maxus Family or the Winchester (due to fit and comfort of those guns). Others will mention more affordable brands, however my personal experience would make me stay with the above.

You very well might not like all of the guns mentioned above (there are several I would not care to hunt with), but regardless of what some might say, all of the above are good guns (for someone) and there are hunters that love all of the guns listed. There is not a gun listed up there that someone has not hated as well. But I would guess there are one or two that you would love. Now you have to figure it out.

OneShotBandit and twodog like this.
  9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I agree that they take longer to clean but, fickle and less reliable? :scratch I hear while hunting and read here about FAR MORE people complaining about inertia guns and watch my friends SBE2's and Stoegers malfunction while my cheaper Berettas (3901, 390) keep pounding away even with no cleaning. Remember the famous "Benelli click?"

OK, rant over. :l

Squaller and Sunklands like this.
  10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

I had an inertia gun once and had to treat the charging handle, like the forward assist button on an AR, alot. Didn’t take long to not trust it and get shed of it. Went back to the old reciprocating barrel Auto 5’s. I’ve give alot of semi auto’s a chance but have always went back to old “Moses”. One of the best gas operated guns I’ve ever shot and own is the old SKB Ithaca XL900. That gun will see some action during duck season this year with some 2.75” #3 biz.