Favorite semi auto

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Eyehunter83, Jul 20, 2019.

1. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

Ugly? Perhaps so. Wont win any beauty contests and I agree they are a little out of the mainstream in style, but they work sooo well. I have the same two guns and love em for what they do. Rock solid.

mudhen likes this.
  2. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have shot several Benelli shotguns over some period of time... My experience is that they are more reliable, and undeniably more easy to clean... There is also a noticeable difference in recoil (favoring gas-operated guns).

I do not shoot Benelli shotguns well, but having shot a number of gas-operated guns, they need to be cleaned more often, and take considerably longer to clean....

The "Benelli Click" is almost always user fault. They do NOT like oil or grease (minimal lubrication), and they do not foul nearly as quickly as gas-operated guns.

I maintain that there are advantages and disadvantages to all of the popular guns... Some will shoot flawlessly, and there are lemons from every big name.... Get the gun that comes to your shoulder well, and that you shoot well, and decide whether you want less recoil or easier maintenance.

3. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

I agree with Squaller on this but , I reserve the fact about gun fit ! You talk about a truely Uggly gun (hehee) , I wouldn't own a Benelli just because I wouldn't
    want someone to see me with one . These over priced ( make believe) status symbols that some think , make them a waterfowl hunter , just don't appeal to me !
    Back in the days the SBE first came out they had , to tight of bore for a 1 1/4 oz payload of steel shot , and the ejectors were junk , chokes were prone to loosen
    and the Famous Benelli Click made a name for itself . I did hunt with a couple Characters who shot them so , I have to say , it killed Ducks . I also hunted with
    a fella who shot a piece of crap Winchester auto , he killed ducks too . I can only say with all the waterfowl shotguns offered these days , the 870 Wingmaster
    is still the King of the Marsh . What ever you shoot , if , you shoot it well , it's a good one , and if you can't , go shoot some more sporting clays .
    Along with 2 elbows I have an opinion too !
    Tell Mike I said Hello ! Hope all is well ?

4. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Remington SP-10 and Benelli SBE1 . Well my heart tells me the Benelli is my favorite but my eyes show me the SP-10 is my favorite . If that makes sense !

5. Drake91

Drake91 Senior Refuge Member

The benelli click was operator error not the gun...

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Then why is it known as the Benelli Click, and not the Automatic Click, or Remington Click?

And why is it being mentioned in reviews that Benelli has now solved the 'Benelli Click' problem?

7. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

As far as reliability goes in gas operated waterfowl guns, the most reliable that I have used and put thousands of rounds through, without cleaning are, Remington Versa Max, Winchester SX3, Beretta Xtrema2, and the Remington SP-10.

8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Well. I’ll see this season as I sold my SBE 2 because of the 2 shoulder operations (same shoulder) and went w/a Browning Silver. I liked my Browning Gold’s recoil so maybe this gun will be softer on my shoulder too!

9. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

My Silver is a soft shooting gun , I can shoot light aswell as heavy loads through this gun without a hiccup ! You talk about easy to clean , it's a 5 minute job !
    The semi-squareback seems to align your shooting eye straight down the rib so your head isn't cocked down but more upright . The .742 bore is made for
    shooting steel shot loads , like the Maxus and all the Browning 12 bore shotguns . I'm not saying it's better than the other B guns , as I know it is prettier !!

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

LOL Comprehending firearm design vs intended use, is vital. Benelli bought the rights to a design, and ran with it. Benelli was not (historically) a firearm designer/mfg. They likely had no way to comprehend shotgun hunting needs translated into pros/cons of a design, until those needs came back around to them. Hunting is not the same as a clays range. Hunting and clays are not the same as mil/defensive use. Other manufacturers had decades of advantages in these things. Benelli had a unique design in production, but it didn’t mean it was ideally suited, as initially copied. They naturally had to figure out how to improve/perfect something less than ideal, since they’d hitched their wagon and name to some concepts more suited to uses other than hunting shotguns. Inertia had been around since at least the turn of the 20th, but largely discarded. Variations in loads, powders, shell length, materials, pressure curves, etc are extreme (these days) in shotgun use, far more so than in the days Benelli began. High pressure/speed is hard to deal with in an inertia ONLY system, which is probably why you don’t see a bunch of inertia centerfire semi autos out there, and why Benelli has the ARGOS for some things. An inertia bolt and spring combo has to be perfect in terms of weight/moving mass. It relies purely on the weight of the bolt for ballast, and enough mass/energy to unlock a rotating bolt, extract and eject a spent shell of wildly varying specs, and chamber shells of wildly varying weights and re-lock that rotating bolt head. Hard enough in perfect conditions and perfect resistance. Benellis are amazing because they've done as well as they have with it. Simplicity often demands its own compromises with mechanics. Other action types have MUCH more inherent leeway. It’s balances.