FBI has raided Trump’s Mar a Lago home.

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
FYI, even the opinion from the 11th Circuit called the whole classification/declassification argument a "red herring" (I didn't realize this when I used the same terminology a few posts back).

In any event, at least for these purposes, the declassification argument is a red herring because declassifying an official document would not change its content or render it personal. So even if we assumed that Plaintiff did declassify some or all of the documents, that would not explain why he has a personal interest in them.

I’m still gonna find it hilarious when the next Trump-ette president gets elected, will his (or her) admin use this all to set the standard for how a former President is treated? I’m down with it. Storm every living former presidents homes, and remove any and all documentation they possess. Because you are right… most any classified docs can be vaguely shown to have NDI related material. All those WJC has, all those W has, all those Obama has, all those Biden will have. The pendulum swing is gonna be great.

J.Bennett

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
He does posses a TS for life.
Clearance is only a part of the equation. Someone with TSC can't just go and look at any documents they want, whenever they want. There also has to be a "need to know." Also, having TSC does not allow one to circumvent the legal requirements for storing and handling classified documents and NDI or allow them to retain them in their possession once they no longer have a "need to know" or allow them to not return them to their rightful custodian when requested by that custodian.

I do recall the president having the authority to declassify but I don't ever recall the perception of NDI being part of that process (in that it was an extra step to what the president decided to do).
Yes, the president does have the authority to declassify, but there is a procedure that must be followed after he does so. The information must be marked as such so that others who see it know that it is no longer classified and treat it as such. The originator of the information must be informed so that they know how to handle future dissemination of that information (and closely related information) to others. It's a whole, "if a tree falls in the woods and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" situation. So, if a president declassifies a document and doesn't tell anyone (either verbally, in writing, or by marking the document as such), is that document actually declassified? Realistically it wouldn't be because for all the rest of the world knows, that information is still classified so it will be handled as such and there will be consequences for mishandling it.

As far as NDI goes, while it can technically be declassified, it remains "sensitive" and by federal statute must be treated almost exactly like it is still classified. In other words, the president can change how it is labeled (classified), but that doesn't change its status as NDI which by law must be handled in a certain way, regardless of its classification.

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How is the government going to get a court with a jury to hold a trial?

Prosecutor: Trump had these highly classified documents in his possession.

Defense: Show them.

Prosecutor: Can’t they are highly classified.

Defense: Objection your honor.

This really is starting to sound more like a circus show trial than a legitimate trial.

IMOO

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

This really is starting to sound more like a circus show trial than a legitimate trial.

IMOO
Nothing of the sort. Redacted, with classified markings would show everyone in the room it was labeled as such. The information within is irrelevant.

J.Bennett

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I’m still gonna find it hilarious when the next Trump-ette president gets elected, will his (or her) admin use this all to set the standard for how a former President is treated? I’m down with it. Storm every living former presidents homes, and remove any and all documentation they possess. Because you are right… most any classified docs can be vaguely shown to have NDI related material. All those WJC has, all those W has, all those Obama has, all those Biden will have. The pendulum swing is gonna be great.
If they take classified documents or NDI with them after their term, keep them for over a year in an unsecure location, don't return them despite being asked and then defy a subpoena for their return, I'm all for it.

3B209

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score

IMOO
Sounds Like a job for Ben

1663881531723.png

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If they take classified documents or NDI with them after their term, keep them for over a year in an unsecure location, don't return them despite being asked and then defy a subpoena for their return, I'm all for it.
My money is, if under the same circumstance, they’d all be guilty of it. Only difference is the others have never been hassled by it. All do it. None would be investigated the same. A couple would be investigated like they only had an unsecured classified server in a house. I’d be cool with the FBI raiding all their homes this second.

J.Bennett

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My money is, if under the same circumstance, they’d all be guilty of it. Only difference is the others have never been hassled by it. All do it. None would be investigated the same. A couple would be investigated like they only had an unsecured classified server in a house. I’d be cool with the FBI raiding all their homes this second.
My money is that other former presidents didn't bring 300+ classified/NDI documents home with them after they left office. If they did, I have zero problem with the FBI serving a search warrant at their home (assuming that there is probable cause to justify the warrant).

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My money is that other former presidents didn't bring 300+ classified/NDI documents home with them after they left office. If they did, I have zero problem with the FBI serving a search warrant at their home (assuming that there is probable cause to justify the warrant).
I think we’d all be surprised. Seriously. There is no doubt in my mind many, many classified docs enter and leave former presidents residences. Even declassified docs with NDI on them. If dude did wrong, we will see. And I will judge accordingly. But this isn’t a one-off incident IRT high-level officials (even former ones). We just don’t seem to care as much about that with anyone else. This reeks of pure political motivation. Just like the last investigation. The political reality show is getting old. Send the FBI to all their homes. Heck, do all current and former members of congress and the senate too. Why not? Swing in and see what’s up. Wonder which ones would open their gates for the guys serving warrants?

yellowlab03

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I think we’d all be surprised. Seriously. There is no doubt in my mind many, many classified docs enter and leave former presidents residences. Even declassified docs with NDI on them. If dude did wrong, we will see. And I will judge accordingly. But this isn’t a one-off incident IRT high-level officials (even former ones). We just don’t seem to care as much about that with anyone else. This reeks of pure political motivation. Just like the last investigation. The political reality show is getting old. Send the FBI to all their homes. Heck, do all current and former members of congress and the senate too. Why not? Swing in and see what’s up. Wonder which ones would open their gates for the guys serving warrants?

These fools think that Trump, as president selected every single one of those documents himself and then placed them in his home himself. Newsflash, POTUS doesn't do a dang thing but get dressed and wipe his own arse on his own. And that goes for every single POTUS D or R. This is ABSOLUTELY political. They didn't even raid Hillary's house over a dirty server, which BTW is WAY more unsecured than some documents behind double or triple lock and guarded by the secret service. Not a single one of these leftist turds even blinked an eye at the HRC server. These dudes are pathetic political hypocrites.