Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

FCE / fibrocartilaginous embolism

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Black Max, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Black Max

Black Max Senior Refuge Member

I'm posting this for a friend. Indications show that FCE may be what has happened to this dog. This is an extremely active, high powered dog, athletic dog with no off switch. She was playing fetch on Monday night and yelped. Her hind quarters went immobile and began dragging her legs. Two days later and the dog is still dragging her appendages, one side more so than the other. The dog is not incontinent. She sits up and makes a noise when she needs to go out. The Vet wants $2,000 for MRI but is already saying that it won't show much. Has anybody seen FCE in a dog? Is recovery possible? If so, what is the expected recovery time? Will recovery be 100% and will this done be prone to more episodes? This is not EIC, I've seen those symptoms before in other dogs. I'm sure that there will be questions that I don't have answers to. Just looking for somebody that has seen FCE in a dog. Friend of mine is trying to make decisions and does not have deep pockets for thousands of dollars for the vet to do "research".

Thanks,
    Sean

2. JJS2

JJS2 New Member

Hi Sean,
    I see that you are in CA. Were I in your friend's situation, I might force the dog into a few days of limited activity, while making inquiries about an appointment at UC Davis (where I believe your Veterinary School is located). That a vet would charge $2000 for a diagnostic procedure seems unconscionably excessive to my uninformed self.

3. Black Max

Black Max Senior Refuge Member

So? Nobody has even experienced or seen an FCE episode in a dog?

4. me&mylab

me&mylab Elite Refuge Member

MRI total cost here in Okla runs $1400-1600 so $2000 in some areas of Calif seems ok.
    I would be shocked if the vet school was any cheaper.

FCE is uncommon in dogs, only way to definitively diagnose it is with imaging.

5. Keith S.

Keith S. Senior Refuge Member

A friend of mine’s dog was diagnosed with FCE a few years ago. This dog was in the prime of his FT career. Unfortunately his dog never recovered.

My wife had a dachshund that his back legs went limp. I guess there is a procedure for those dogs so I’m guessing that his injury is different that FCE. We chose to give him crate rest. It was a very very long recovery. He couldn’t move his back legs for over a month then one day started standing for short periods of time. After about 2 months he was able to walk again.

6. wyldfire

wyldfire Senior Refuge Member

My dog had one on June 27. Same scenario yep and total paralysis of both rear legs. No response to pain on either rear leg. Got limited use of left leg after 24 hours and some use of right leg at 7 days. Slowly improving each day. ER vet and my vet both agreed that all the MRI would do is confirm diagnosis. Wouldn't change treatment.

7. wyldfire

wyldfire Senior Refuge Member

Swimming seems to be the best therapy for my dog. Coming back to land after her first swim she looked down at her right leg and started to use it.