Fear The Mighty 28

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Paddler, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Today was the 2nd Annual 28 Gauge Hunt. It started slow and weird. Not much was flying, and I think I dozed off a bit. I got up to get rid of some processed coffee, and when I turned around there was a new, small decoy in my spread. Somehow, a pintail snuck in under radar and was asleep on the edge of my spread, 18 yards from my pad. It looked like a nice bird, so I jumped it up and shot it:

[​IMG]

It landed just like this, and went to sleep:

[​IMG]

I was trying to take pictures of the bird, when I heard a drake mallard calling overhead. I looked up, his wings were cupped, so I shot him, too. I retrieved him, and was messing around with the camera again when the sky filled with birds. Mostly pintails, but lots of birds. So I hunkered down, grabbed my gun and looked up to see a flock on final approach. Finished my pintail limit:

[​IMG].

I was 4/4 at this point:

[​IMG]

2. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Then the GWT started to fly, and they were bombing in fast. Also, they were veering to my right, which is a difficult shot. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I finished up 7/10. Not bad for 5/8 ounce of steel 6s at 1300FPS and a Skeet choke tube:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, right after I finished my limit, I had mallards all over me. Also, this nice little flock came in pretty as you please. Pardon my focus, I goofed up. But I thought utahgolf would like this:

[​IMG]

3. Citori20ga

Citori20ga Senior Refuge Member

Looks like a great day Jon. Beautiful pictures for sure.

4. Extex

Extex Elite Refuge Member

The last pic is a killer :tu

5. Duckboy

Duckboy Elite Refuge Member

Nice Paddler

Looking over these photos just reminded me that I think I am going to be sick on thurs...:nutz

Need to take the d300 out for some duck shots as well. Been trapped in the pelican case since Sept.

Thanks for the inspirational photos!

6. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Duckboy, you can relate to my difficulties yesterday. I had my AF mode wrong, in that the little button on the front near the lens was set to "S" instead of "C", and I had switched to single AF. I had many shots that would have been nice, but they were out of focus. I now have it on 51 point AF, in Dynamic 3D mode. I reviewed Rockwell's notes on the subject, and the next trip will be better. Those wigeons would have been killer.

7. DucHunr

DucHunr Elite Refuge Member

What a Great Colorful all Drake limit. Congrats ! One of those Drake Wigeon would have topped it off well !

8. goose jerky

goose jerky Elite Refuge Member

9. silverkittens73

silverkittens73 Senior Refuge Member

Geeshhh - wow!

I have been off on vacation for a week and all I have done is Christmas Shop, Argue with kids, and go to a gazillion other engagements at my childrens schools.

I NEED TO GO HUNTING!!!!

Doc - I AM JEALOUS........

10. Utahgreenhead

Utahgreenhead Senior Refuge Member

As always, great pictures. :tu