California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Federal Warden checked me

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by fishdog, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Quackracker

Quackracker New Member

All of the stuff about what they can and cannot do aside, used to be when the feds show up..the birds are here and they’re following the migration

double limit likes this.
  2. minnducker

minnducker New Member

I'm 70 years old and have been checked many times. Mostly the officers have been courteous and fair. But in any profession, there are a few jerks.
    Six of us were hunting a hard to get to marsh, we had 3 boats. 2 wardens showed up and checked everything, boat licenses, bags, plugs,shells, hunting licenses stamps etc.. We were courteous to the wardens. We had shot 5 or 6 ducks total, no problems there. The only violation they found was one of our group had failed to sign his duck stamp, but it was stuck on his hunting license which he had signed. They gave him a ticket that cost $75. Nice guys.
    Worst jerks encountered: a close friend of mine was raised in rural northern Minnesota. His 16 year old son, invited a friend, also 16, to go up north to grandpa and grandma's farm to hunt geese. The friend had never hunted before. The boys only got 1 goose, but it was shot by the friend who hadn't hunted before, and he was pretty happy. On the drive home to Minneapolis, they encountered a DNR road check. The boys grandmother had cleaned the goose for the boy, but she didn't leave a feathered wing on the bird. They just had the one bird, and the goose limit was 3 per person. Even though they were otherwise legal with stamps, licenses etc., the DNR personnel confiscated this boy's first goose, and issued him a citation. I believe the boy never went hunting again.

double limit likes this.
  3. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

Not signing a stamp is the stupidest, most petty ticket to give. Just hand the guy a pen , have him sign it and move on.

I'm all for the presence out in the field and such. I'm just not a fan of being petty for the sake of boredom or having to justify being employed.

4. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Yep, that's pretty chicken **** on the wardens part.

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yes... I'm sure that is the reason you carry that item.

JuvieCoot and fishdog like this.
  6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Back some years ago, we got stopped by a pleasant enough warden... I asked him if he wanted to see our birds and he said "naw, just tell me what you got."

Well, I got a bit dyslexic and with a one sprig limit at the time, I said we had 3 sprig, 2 mallards, and the remainder were teal (I meant to say 2 sprig and 3 mallards)... He then proceeded to literally take our vehicle apart, and left chastising me to "watch what you say..." My buddy was not all that happy with me either.... But I still felt the warden over-reacted a bit to my "mis-speaking."

freefall likes this.
  7. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Well... you told him you had 3 Sprig. After he said he’d take your word for it. What’s he supposed to do?

deltahunter likes this.
  8. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Many many years ago my father hunted pheasants with an old man. They had their limits and a long walk to the truck so my dad offered to carry the old man’s birds for him. CS warden wrote him a ticket for taking two limits. Fast forward 20 years (still 30 years ago)and I was jump shooting a stock pond with two buddies. We got about 10 between us. As we were walking out a warden pulled up behind my truck. One buddy then notified me that had no duck stamps :doh I told him to quickly give me two of his birds and the other bird to the other buddy and only admit to dove hunting since it was late November. Warden knew he was lying but had to let him go. You win some and lose some. But stay clean and be polite and you’ll win nearly all the time.

9. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Also just in case we ever cross paths Squaller:dv

10. Speckslayer

Speckslayer Elite Refuge Member

Why is that, you gonna swap him for the one he carries? :l

JuvieCoot likes this.