Feds Say No Mid Winter Bird Counts

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by La. Legend, Jan 13, 2004.

1. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

USFWS will not conduct there Jan. mid winter counts stating budget cuts won't allow them. The timing of this stinks. More and more of us are questioning bird numbers and they won't do the count that will show if there are any birds still North of us. First time I've ever know them not to do one. Without any counts to prove different we can get ready for some more of that "it's the weather" BS and no one can challenge it. Better get the KY out cause we're fixing to get it stuck in us, AGAIN

Legend

2. Tork

Tork Senior Refuge Member

Most of us dont believe their numbers are correct anyway,so why dont we just wait till Feb. and count them ourselves.:D

3. Big Gumbo

Big Gumbo Elite Refuge Member

Seriously, how many of yall farmers know a cropduster that duck hunts, they usually have some sort of small plane too. break the state into sections and count.

4. Shedhead

Shedhead Elite Refuge Member

surprise, surprise, ya'll know why...cause there ain't none to count!
    SHED

5. MGDUCK2

MGDUCK2 Elite Refuge Member

Counting ducks from the air.....ain't no piece of cake.

BUT, I don't need anyone to count the ducks for me to know that the fed numbers are pure BS.:rolleyes:

6. BIG DOG I

BIG DOG I Elite Refuge Member

the are probablly not counting them cuz they don't want to fess up the truth!

la, what is going to happen w/the ordeal you told me a odha about (the maybe saving there money for that!:D )

7. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

Oh it gets better. After counting one of the local refuges they were told to count it again because they had made a mistake. After counting again with the same results they were informed they were scraping the counts which gives one the impression that the counts were done but won't be published. Total speculation on my part but the dots do connect.

BD1 trying to get more info on that has proven to be no less a task than getting the combination to the vault at Ft. Knox. Nobody is willing to say anything. They could be connected?

Legend

8. Banded One

Banded One Elite Refuge Member

Legend

I would not trust anything that the Feds or any other ORG puts out and as many of you quit belving their numbers several years ago .
    It is my hope that the feds cut back their frame work next to at least a moderate or even restrictive season next year but who knows .
    I know this it has been one of the worst seasons that I can ever recall in my 25 years of duck hunting .

I have never seen ducks act the way they are acting now and they have been way over hunted up north .
    I know that something has to give but I dont know what that is .

I think we need to all take a hard look at where our money is going in the future and if it is going anywhere but the potholes just say no to the total ORG.
    A couple of years of no money comming from the southern States and they will get the message and allow a pot hole only donation as some currently do.
    Also as duck numbers go down so will hunters IE duck stamp sales no money no pumping up and planting refuges so the situation will soon take care of itself.

Jay Mo 37 likes this.
  9. Waxed Canvas

Waxed Canvas Elite Refuge Member

When it is 65 F in St. Louis, MO on January 13, what do we expect? I agree there is something amiss about counts as well but this is the warmest winter I can remember.

I just don't care anymore. I will give my minimum yearly dues to DU and Delta and start keeping a crappie pole in the duck boat. :D

I have had some good hunts, some bad hunts and some great hunts this year.I have to many other things to worry about. God just give me the strength and wherewithall to be out there.

Y'all let me know when it is figured out. Meanwhile, folks just keep dropping off of the hunting wagon like flies which is a good thing. :l

10. Thndrstck

Thndrstck Senior Refuge Member

I guess they figured out a way to keep from having to fess up.