Feds Say No Mid Winter Bird Counts

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by La. Legend, Jan 13, 2004.

1. DaddyMark

DaddyMark Senior Refuge Member

Just another example of the man keeping us down.

Jay Mo 37 likes this.
  2. Shedhead

Shedhead Elite Refuge Member

There ain't no ducks.......

Take notice of how many people are going to Canada these days & thumpin 'em.

Take notice of how many people travel to the dakotas and lots of other northern flyways states- The northern folks have whacked the shemp out of 'em the last few years, look at the drastic increase in the northern states harvest numbers, the biggest problem we have down here is DEAD DUCKS DON'T FLY SOUTH!!!!!

There ain't no ducks!

SHED

3. MGDUCK2

MGDUCK2 Elite Refuge Member

Say it Again Brother!!

THERE AIN'T NO DUCKS!

But, I'm going in the morning anyway!!!

4. BIG DOG I

BIG DOG I Elite Refuge Member

preach on brutha shed:l

5. SD

SD New Member

I don't know what the big deal is about budget cuts. It is really pretty simple unless math has changed and nobody told me, but naught + naught still equals naught doesn't it????

6. Big Gumbo

Big Gumbo Elite Refuge Member

On an interesting side note, while watching the weather channel, they showed temperature trend over the past 28 years. it showed that the coast were bout the same , the south was a little cooler ,and the straterting at the Arky-Misery line gradual trend warmer and its gets warmer and warmer as you go north and the places thats warmed the most the Dakotas, Mn, Wis, Mi.

Now 28 years is a dribble of pee on the seat in the long term scheme of things but we don't live hundreds of years, either to see the downturn. I also read recently that there has been little volcanic activity in the northern hemeisphere in the last 30 odd years and many believe that is what cools the earth down. with the debris filtering the sunlight. Oh well, goes to show no one really knows.

Jay Mo 37 likes this.
  7. Banded One

Banded One Elite Refuge Member

Well let those SOBS blow we could use some cooler weather in both summer and winter :eek:
    Where you gona go when the volcanio blows:l

Well man I dont know about you but I'm Going duck hunting :l

8. CutTheDrake

CutTheDrake Elite Refuge Member

We should go throw OOS'ers into the volcano for sacrifice:l

9. Longstory

Longstory Senior Refuge Member

I see a problem developing here on this issue! If there are no duck counts, then how is the rest of the system suppose to work?:confused: What are they going to do for their numbers?:confused: Use last years numbers to go by. Kinda like going a month & not paying your bills isn't it. Without these numbers that they have allways used to go by & validate their reasoning for what is done, how are they going to make the continuing sound judgment calls they have for the past few years!:nutz

All I can tell you is I know for a fact a duck count was made here in this area not a week or so ago! Know the man who flys for the Fed's & he told me he was up for 3 days counting birds, or should I say very, very few birds! Now whether he gets paid is yet to be seen, but I bet the funding was there or knowing him, his butt would have never left the ground!

Talked to another Federal employee this morning in the local cafe before we went hunting. He said they were doing surveys also. So I guess he's working Pro Bono?

I think a Federal Survey has been done, but not a public Federal Survey! Heck, if they are short on Funds & cannot do the work they are suppose to be doing, then it sounds line it's time for them the get in the unemployement line with the rest of the rest of the real world. If the work is not there, then I don't see a reason to keep so many on!!!!!! :rolleyes:

10. Decoy-em-in

Decoy-em-in Elite Refuge Member

As long as the birds have food, open water and closed seasons they will stay north as long as possible.

We haven't seen large amounts of mallards in Southern Minnesota during the season the past few years either. Once they are here, the season is over and without bad weather or pressure, they stay. If Minnesota, for example, would open the southern part of the state later, when the birds actually start arriving, they may be pressured out.

Good luck with your season, I know it's frustrating!

Jay Mo 37 likes this.