Feds Say No Mid Winter Bird Counts

Discussion in 'Arkansas Flyway Forum' started by La. Legend, Jan 13, 2004.

1. ramsey

ramsey Elite Refuge Member

They may not publish the reports, but each refuge likely has their own numbers. The Freedom of Information Act ensures that you will get the information if you request it. Would also require that they provide other information such as acres refuge/public waterfowl, acres coop farmed per open/closed zone, etc - if anyone actually wanted to know. Probably be alot cheaper and simpler than hiring a crop duster to fly the entire state!

http://www.usdoj.gov/oip/foia_updates/Vol_XVII_4/page2.htm

More

2. goose_caller

goose_caller Elite Refuge Member

I don't know why the ducks stay up here?
    [​IMG]
    Just messin with ya all.

We are still loaded up in the metro areas with birds up here, and that is after 12" of snow and a week of temp that barely reached 0 with lows of -10....some birds just ain't leaving these days.

3. Kwack Wacker

Kwack Wacker Senior Refuge Member

If you dont mind post up a link where we can find this information I have searched high and low and have yet to see where they are not going to do the count, please help!!

4. Kwack Wacker

5. Patrick_76

Patrick_76 Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>03/13/76 - 12/

Here is a theory on why they are not going to publish the numbers. I work for the National Agricultural Statistics Service, the official statistics branch of the US Department of Agriculture. Needless to say, I have done a few surveys. If there are not enough responses in a given category to guarantee the confidentiality of a respondent's information, then we will summarize that category at the next level (ie instead of summarizing at the state level, we summarize at the regional level). So, my guess is that there are not enough ducks in the South to guarantee the confidentiality of the ducks that are here, so the USFWS is choosing not to release the data.
    Patrick

6. Beanpole

Beanpole Senior Refuge Member

I can confidentely say there are no ducks in Arkanasas compared to historical numbers. There are pockets here and there. They stay there only long enough to get shot then moved around to another area. The big problem is the lack of winter weather north of Arkansas to move ducks south. We now have 4-5 generations of ducks that do not know that AR or anything south of it is supposed to be their winter home. They have spent their life on National Wildlife Refuges and in northern states with closed seasons in the midst of some of the mildest winters on record. And I consider AR lucky to still get the numbers of ducks we still have. Louisiana has had poor to fair hunting at best. The numbers of ducks in LA are south of I-10 and are scrap ducks to us in AR.

The reason the survey will not be completed is the egg in face the USFWS would get if the numbers were released. If there are X number of ducks in September, then where are they in December or January?? Did they winter in MO, Iowa, Illinois, or are they paper ducks?? I know the January survey has been done. I know the pilot who flew the plane. He has flown the same route for years now.

I suspect we are chasing paper ducks and someone in a big office has "lite one up" and smoked the evidence by now.

7. Kwack Wacker

La. Legend, I am still waiting for that web address, and where you got this information??????

8. La. Legend

La. Legend Elite Refuge Member

Aint got no site whacker but just for the record it came straight from the mouth of an Asst. Mgr. of an NWR. I'm sure you can get the same information by calling a NWR close to you and asking. The odd thing is some states are actually doing counts. La. just released their count. How much money could it take to add the nuimbers up and print it? La. count shows us to have 3.4 million birds. This represents a 1 millions + increase over last months count. Damn if I know where they came from or where they went cause I sure haven't seen em. I'm having a hard time believing that but thats what they say so it must be true. It also shows we have twice as many pintails as mallards. Kinda odd since mallards counts are what were used to give us another liberal season and pintails are suppose to be in trouble. I'm either totally confused or too dumb to figure any of this out.:h

Legend

9. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

16 years ago today....................

QuaaackerJack and stevena198301 like this.
  10. ukcpeak

ukcpeak Senior Refuge Member

I read 2 pages before I figured out this was old

cast&blast and stevena198301 like this.