Feral hog shot in Idaho

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by sdkidaho, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Uncle Bambi

Uncle Bambi New Member

I realize they are invasive and destructive, and they should not be allowed to gain purchase in a state that is free of them. On the other hand, they are damn good eating, and if they become a problem in Idaho I stand really to do my part. :D

2. cprodave

cprodave Senior Refuge Member

Idaho game dept probably learned from Tennessee's mistakes.
    https://www.tn.gov/twra/wildlife/mammals/large/wild-hog.html

Other states (Kentucky and Pennsylvania to name a few) have learned from Tennessee. I hunted hogs with a guide unsuccessfully in SC. Then I helped my son kill one DIY in TX. Then my goal was to kill one on public land in my (then) home state of NC. I did that-- but it took 3 years--almost all feral higs killed on public land are incidental kills by deer hunters--mine was not. I have attended hog trapping seminars by NC and US FWS trappers and hunted amongst "hog doggers" who had special permission from US FWS to take around 500 hogs from a Federal Refuge in NC over a period of 4-5 years. What i have concluded is this: gun hunting for hogs is a lot of fun, but it only nips away at the problem and causes remaining hogs to become even harder to kill. Hog eradication is best left to professional trappers who know how to (once sighted/reported)kill the entire sounder of multiple sows with all piglets. Then kill the boar(s) by either live trapping (using a live sow in heat as bait) or using dogs. So unless you want Idaho to become another LA (more hogs killed than whitetails there effective a couple years ago) or TX Georgia SC (hogs in every county!) etc then the best thing hunters in Idaho can do is report any feral hog sightings to local game warden.