FF Townhall

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by LADucks, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

I hope they do good work. Its such a tough battle for us to dictate from Louisiana what happens up North. In my opinion going to a 30 and 4 for 3 years (kill much fewer) would at least allow birds that are coming to imprint and come back with babies. Maybe 30 and 4 for 3 years and 60 and 6 for 2 years type of iterative schedule. What else do we ultimately control but our own state? Can't control Feds, DU or any other state's priorities......Or maybe FF can. I hope so.

2. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

Your suggestion is flawed. The problem is that there are no ducks coming to Louisiana to imprint. Don’t give up anything. Get as many days to shoot as many ducks as you can. More ducks are lost to natural causes each year than to hunters. Limits are not designed to save ducks.

3. Duck Enticer

I disagree. We still kill more ducks than any state. Probably the same for last year, even though we don't have the report yet.

Check out 2016-2017 Harvest report
    https://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/...rveys/MBHActivityHarvest2016-17and2017-18.pdf
    867K killed in 2016
    1.1 Million killed in 2017

I have no clue how good imprinting will actually work. Larry could probably cite some studies that give definitive information. I am going to make an assumption. Lets say we harvest 1/3 of the birds we have harvested as cited because of a 30 and 3 season. And for 3 years.

Let's take the average harvest for the last 2 years, which is right around a million per year. So the first year we would save 333K birds. The next year comes rolling around and we will get those 333K back, + maybe 1 hatchling per duck returning (very conservative estimate). Up to 666K. So, after 3 years that is about 2 million extra ducks we could have back in the state. Now let's open back up to 60 and 6 if the flyway authorizes it....

I know there are lots more variables that go into the final number, but thats the gist.

4. Duck Enticer

What are limits designed to do?

5. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

You probably also believe the government report saying there is no inflation. Bought a vehicle lately? Same thing with duck count. You can go to any organized hunters and not one will tell you anything other than there are no ducks. I’ll listen to them and not a bunch of government bureaucrats waiting to have enough years to go on drop and then retire.

Manoduk likes this.
  6. Manoduk

Manoduk Senior Refuge Member

There is nothing creditable in those surveys. They are a joke, however they do provide job security for those same government bureaucrats. Sometimes I wonder who they really represent. Not me!

7. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

AKA Larry ain't getting fired

Manoduk likes this.