Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Fiberglass grates

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Jeff H, Nov 27, 2019.

1. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

McMaster still has fiberglass grating.
    But, boy, is it ever expensive.......

Use caution when putting grating (made of any material) in a duckboat or blind. If you get a type that has spacing which allows a shell to drop between the runs, you'll be endlessly frustrated.

Jeff H likes this.
  2. Jeff H

Jeff H New Member

Yeah I looked at it. If I don’t find some salvage someplace I’m going to buy some. I need two pieces 3’x5’ for our set ups. It should last forever since we haul it in and out. Thanks for the company info

3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Couple of alternatives...

* 1/4” treated plywood cut in halves. Can drill large holes in it to lighten, aid in release.

*3/8” plywood cut just wide and long enough for you to stand and turn a 360 degree radius. Tall bucket or marsh type seat to sit on. We’ve toted these in marshes for decades. Work like a champ.

Jeff H likes this.
  4. Jeff H

Jeff H New Member

we did the same for years, I just hated to wrestle the water logged plywood. We sat up with an outfitter and he used the grates. Super easy to pick up and rinse off in the marsh.

5. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Plus, plywood floors tend to get slick when muddy, and to float if the blind gets more than half an inch of water in it.

6. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

^ Neither will happen if you know how quick/simple it is to secure your platform, even in several feet of water. Older small weathered pieces aren’t slick even with some mud on them. If concerned, rough it up with a number of things or cut shallow saw kerfs in it.

How deep is the water and mud? If grates work then it can’t be too soft otherwise they’d keep right on going down from lack of displacement. I’m sure they’re nice in the right conditions.

7. Jeff H

Jeff H New Member

Where we were going in and out of the blind the mud got knee deep.

Water was about an inch deep where we blinded up. But it was flooded marsh and there was no “land” in sight.

The grates never went under mud with five men setting on them. Plywood works, I’ve used it a long time but it get water logged and heavy. It also creates suction and is hard to pickup.

Just trying to clean my set ups up.

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Gotcha. You know what will work best for where you hunt. One 3x5 grate looks to be around $300. Small investment in the scheme of things, should last a long time.

Jeff H likes this.
  9. techfowl

techfowl Elite Refuge Member

Would pallets work? They come in wood or plastic.

Jeff H likes this.
  10. Jeff H

Jeff H New Member

I was thinking the same thing.