Decoy Forum Sponsors

Field Full bodies

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by heveshot, Jul 17, 2021.

1. heveshot

heveshot Refuge Member

About two months ago I thought about my field Canada Goose spread and doing an upgrade or just replacing as I'm kinda anal about keeping them clean and looking like new. Well to say the least there's nothing out there that excites me, either no one has stock or I choke on the prices. Currently run 2 dozen Bigfoot2 and 4 dozen GHG half shells staked. Cabelas has been sale advertising the BF2's for feeders or asst. 6pk for $129.00, there are none in stock and they don't know when they'll be in.
    So I decided to re-flock the heads and fresh coat of paint, I got the flock kit from Dave Smith as they got the best reviews. If all goes well may just do the GHG half shells to.
    I think this China thing has suppliers really against the wall. Unless we start a buy American or countries that are trade friendly, don't see any relief. I expect we'll all be paying more for waterfowling, glad I don't need any ammo yet.

2. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

Rogers has had good prices on the Dakota Lessers ($179/6). They are better overall quality than the B2’s (b2’s are not American made). Dakota sleeper shells are some of the best. SX decoys looks pretty good as well, and you can talk straight to the owner on pricing/shipping options. We cleared out most of the Avian X and Doa’s. We run almost all Dakota’s and original bigfoots now. The flocked and painted dakotas have taken a beating for many years.

G&H, last year, also started releasing more options, still American made.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

A lot of the issues about getting stuff from China isn’t an issue from China. A lot of it has to do with not being able to move it here. There’s lots of ships sitting off the coasts and nobody to unload and more importantly nobody to haul the stuff.

brentbullets and bill cooksey like this.
  4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Getting an empty container in China is next to impossible right now, and cost, if you can find one is 3-4 times what it was last year. If a company which imports decoys sells new ones at 2020 prices, they are likely losing money hoping to keep shelf space for another year.

5. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

I’ll second the sx decoys. We ran about 15 dozen of them last year and we really liked them. As mentioned the owners are awesome and I’ve had many conversations with them. If I didn’t run sx I’d run Dakota or Bigfoot.

mpkowal likes this.
  6. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

Agree they are nice folks, but with the mixed packs they offer, 2 sentrys and 4 feeders that ratio is WAY off. I spoke the the gal on the phone and was told they do not plan on making seperate 6 packs such as all feeders, all actives and or all sentrys.
    That was the big turn off for me. I like to see 1 sentry per 9 - 11 feeders. A much more relaxing and natural apperance to what you would see in a field. Throw in 1 or 2 actives in that 9- 11 ratio and your set....:tu

PorkChop likes this.
  7. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

I can see why that would be a turn off to some. I guess it doesn’t matter to me as typically we run such large spreads (sometimes 600+ FB) for dark geese I don’t worry about all the head positions. Smaller spreads when it’s 4 dozen or less I might pay a little more attention but I can just cherry pick decoys out of the trailer for those set ups.

8. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

Do you set up a week in advance or do you hunt with an army? :dv

9. Bluesclues

Bluesclues Refuge Member

Lol...
    I was thinking the same thing. 600 FB is the dream one day though.

10. heveshot

heveshot Refuge Member

Dream? I call that a nightmare.