Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Field Hunting Snows?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by h2ofowl_jr, Feb 26, 2004.

1. h2ofowl_jr

h2ofowl_jr Senior Refuge Member

What have you guys had the best luck with hunting snows. I just wanted to know what fields are the best. Corn field, bean field, or winter wheat field etc.? Since I'm from Iowa these are my choices I listed above and some fields are disc. I know you got to be where they want to be but if I can't get in the field they want to be in then I got to pick the next field to the one their feeding in. So I was just wondering what you guys think?

2. watchm

watchm Banned

On cold days the geese will prefer the wheat fields. The problem is that no one should go on a wheat field in the spring. It just wrecks them even more than what the geese are doing. As far as the other crops the geese only know what fields they want from a day to day basis, especially on the migration north. I have seen tens of thousands in all types of fields, even cotton plant fields in AR just a few weeks ago.
    Once the first scout flock geese settles in a field there are sure to many more flocks to follow if they don't get pushed. This could be a chance to do some pass shooting. The bigger the field, the tougher they are to hunt since they leapforg each other the entire length of the field and never get near an edge.

3. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

I'm glad to see someone else who has the farmer in mind when it comes to setting up for snows. I recently saw a group set up a hunt in the MIDDLE of a farmer's 240 acre wheat field. I was the only outfitter who had permission to hunt this farm so I know they were tresspassing. We have hunted the same field but set our spread at the edge of the wheat extending out into the soybeans next to it. The best way I know to get a farmer to post his ground to everyone is to misuse it. Winter wheat is very tender right now in SEMO and should not be hunted over unless it is a cover crop and that should be the farmer's decision!!

4. DanDan

DanDan Senior Refuge Member

Perfectly said:)

5. Specklr

Specklr Senior Refuge Member

Rice is nice and Wheat is neat but you know Corn is King at least in the states:l And with the corn and wheat prices up there will be a lot next year.

6. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Refuge Member

Student at Pensacola Bible Institute, home's in No
    mrdux, did you confront them about it?

Joe

7. mrdux

mrdux Elite Refuge Member

Joe, I was scouting the area for a hunt the next day so I left. I would have had to walk thru the farmer's wheat field anyway! I did let the farmer know that it had happened and it wasn't me. He knows my rig anyway if he had seen the set up.

8. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt Elite Refuge Member

Student at Pensacola Bible Institute, home's in No
    Thank ya...

Joe