Fight the Phrag

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Vanilla, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

2. BBFlinger

BBFlinger Elite Refuge Member

Why dont they just join ranks with the DWR who already has a 10 year plan? Lets just reinvent the wheel?

3. Vanilla

Does the DWR have any plan for Utah Lake? And I seriously doubt the DWR would complain that another organization is jumping on board to help fight this issue...but that's just me.

4. BBFlinger

I believe the DWR's plan includes "invasive weeds". They are primarily concerned about the WMA's. However, they have been trying to expose the FFSL of the problems outside of the WMA's. DWR has all of the equipment. They have access to funding but then again FFSL also has money (that as far as I know, never gets spent). RJefre would know best on them as he has worked closely with them. Its just typical politics, let's see who can waste more money doing what someone else has already done.

USU has a graduate student that came out here for research on phrag (as you may not know, the Chesepeak Bay area has it worse than here). Unfortunately, for this student to work with the State and DWR, someone has to pay the salary. We all know that ain't happenin'

I think it would shock me to the grave if 3 state agencies could actually get together on something.

5. Bear River Boomer

Bear River Boomer Elite Refuge Member

Taxes.

RIP Marty :nutz

6. Vanilla

Maybe this is another step to exposing the FFSL to the problem. I'd be shocked if the Utah Lake Commission was diving into this from the beginning without cooperating with any other agency, attempting to fight this battle on their own. I'm actually almost shocked to the grave that Marty of all people would be upset about what is happening here? Didn't see that one coming!!! :scratch

7. BBFlinger

They only agree on the fact that we need to pay them and they dont. So Im still here:sp

Oh dont get me wrong, Im not upset at the fact that they are doing something about it. Total erradication is what I want to see. The thing that concerns me is they want to do what is already taking place. I think that they need to do some phone calls and see if there is something already in process (and they may have already done that -article didnt say). Unless of course they think they are special and are the only ones with the plant. Wish I seriously doubt considering Matt Clark and his dad live in the same area. Besides, DWR already bought the machines and I believe the helicopter and airplane they use fly out of Spanish Fork. They could also use DWR's bulk buying discount if they have money.

They have a few months to figure things out. I live down south now so there isnt any phrag, just Tamarisk. Damn salt cedar is everywhere.

8. Vanilla

Let's say for the sake of argument that your broad assumptions that the Utah Lake Commission is acting independently here without talking to any other agency I'm still 100% okay with them getting involved to fight the fight. Something is better than nothing.

But back to reality, that's a crazy assumption to make. The Utah Lake Commission has worked with the feds and the DWR on all the things they are doing to restore the lake. Why would they all the sudden just start something on their own with phrag? I applaud them, not criticize them. Get rid of the stuff, I don't care who you are...I thank you for getting involved and trying to make a difference! :clap:clap:clap:clap

9. BBFlinger

You are probably right on that. More than likely they have everything in a row. I probably jumped the gun on that. I too appreciate the fact that they are doing something. Hopefully they can be just as successful in total destruction.

But, after recent events surrounding the archery and general season rifle hunts with the Wildlife Board, stream access with the Governor and a couple other "go opposite of the majority" debacles, I wouldnt be surprised. :scratch