Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Finally, chocolate female

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by SEKhunter, Feb 3, 2021.

1. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

We had a great yellow lab male, I paid 70 dollars for him at 4 months of age. I also didn’t know a thing about labs, I had a beagle growing up and plenty of pit bulls. So I buy this yellow male out of a dirty crap filled kennel, take him home and 2 baths later, we could manage him. He stayed in the house and was a great dog. I even got him to retrieve ducks, sit or heel was nonexistent with him he had so much drive. Lost him after 14 great years.

Fast forward 3 years, my daughter and I are hunting a shallow water thick silt pond, like chest deep silt. One calm day I shot a gaddy that landed smack dab in the middle. To wade our to get was difficult and I decided I was ready for another lab. Talked to my wife about getting a black male, boy did she shut me down. Chocolate female or no pup. Found a breeder local, got some help from some of you on here and got her paid for, picking her up feb 17th and getting excited. My kids have no idea and will be surprised.

So I come for advice, I want to do this right. I will feed ppp sport because that’s what the breeder is feeding. But the training, I’ve never had a book or video to do such. The breeder does have some training videos on his website, but curious what the pros here recommend for a novice, I don’t know if I will ever get into the hunt trials, but would like to train for them anyway. I will post up some pics when I get her home and thanks

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Congratulations its an exciting time waiting anxiously for the new arrival. Have fun.
    I just got one too.
    Its a big deal dont let anyone get you down.

4 BUCK and SEKhunter like this.
  3. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

Evan Graham smart works and start by watching sound beginnings

ripline and SEKhunter like this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My breeder fed PPP Sport and I have for my Daisy dog for 2.5 years. Love the stuff.

5. TacomaMan

TacomaMan New Member

Congratulations!!! Remember, it’s not a sprint, it’s a marathon. Take it slow, a very SOLID foundation is key when you start putting all the tools together. All the big name training programs have great things to offer, I prefer Bill Hillman, but they’re all good. Pick one and stick with it from the very beginning to as far as you wanna advance. If the dogs not getting it then back up a step or even two. It’s usually me not the dog!!!

Rangerbob and yankeegray like this.
  6. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Thanks guys, I’m going to check into these suggestions, I know it’s not not going to be cheap and thanks for reminding me to go slow

yankeegray likes this.
  7. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Elite Refuge Member

Evan is a member here for questions and help along the way im a lardy fan all the way but for the first time trainers its very helpful to have the person who made the program here to help if needed

SEKhunter likes this.
  8. Aunt Betty

Ive tried to find bill hillman stuff and its hard to determine a starting point.
    Hold my hand and point me to the right button please. It may help the chocolate pup too so please do it for me.

SEKhunter likes this.
  9. TacomaMan

TacomaMan New Member

10. Aunt Betty

@SEK HUNTER
    I'm getting help from a very good amateur dog trainer. If you want I'd be happy to share progress and where im at so you could follow along in our footsteps. There are challenges and brick walls ahead. Im not exactly a role model but if you're interested I'd like to help anyone thats going through what I've went thru to train a dog.
    We make it hard on ourselves.