First alcohol purchase

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
15...."friendly Bob" at the local 7-11. Bob was charging us a buck for every six pack and pocketing it. He was well known to all of the kids in the neighborhood and school. The guy was likely making a 1970's fortune until some kids wrecked a car and came in on him. Damn near ruined my 17th Summer. :l
Had a newly ordained gw spill his guts all over me one morning about "the test".
He said some really weird things like "they know everything about everyone".
Did you tell them about BOB when you were "tested"? Inquiring minds want to know.
:l

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like most young guys, we knew which convenience stores, grocery stores, bars and liquor stores were most likely to forget to ask for ID. I patronized them all and even learned which clerks to avoid.

The closest store to school had a couple of clerks who were serious about checking. One Friday night after a football game a carful of us stopped there first just hoping, but we saw the old dude behind the counter was one of the killjoys. Brad just said “watch this,” and climbed out the passenger door. Few minutes later he came out with a 12-pack and a box of tampons.

I used that trick dozens of times before turning 21, and I always wondered if the tampons made them think I was over 21 or if the clerk figured I just deserved the beer.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like most young guys, we knew which convenience stores, grocery stores, bars and liquor stores were most likely to forget to ask for ID. I patronized them all and even learned which clerks to avoid.

The closest store to school had a couple of clerks who were serious about checking. One Friday night after a football game a carful of us stopped there first just hoping, but we saw the old dude behind the counter was one of the killjoys. Brad just said “watch this,” and climbed out the passenger door. Few minutes later he came out with a 12-pack and a box of tampons.

I used that trick dozens of times before turning 21, and I always wondered if the tampons made them think I was over 21 or if the clerk figured I just deserved the beer.
I guess you never ask a lady her age darlin'..

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I guess you never ask a lady her age darlin'..

More like “Poor little *******. Don’t care if his mother or his girlfriend needs them, his world sucks right now, and beer will help.”

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
More like “Poor little *******. Don’t care if his mother or his girlfriend needs them, his world sucks right now, and beer will help.”
I think maybe once I was sent to get feminine products. It's very weird buying that I should have worn a costume. Recall praying "please don't ask what it's for".

redheads

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
12 ish.............Ocknod would sell to anyone

tank u come again

Il. MudDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember buying smokes for my dad at around the age of 12 (1984).

Booze? I probably never tried to buy it on my own until I was 18, and that was when a certain cashier was working the night shift at a local convenience store, who happened to be a former boss of mine at a pizza place we worked at.

At the age of 19, I joined the military.
Legal age to drink by then was 21.
My roommate/shipmate wanted to drink, but at the time, both of us were under 21.
I told him I'd dress up in uniform with what limited ribbons (awards/medals) I had at the time (surely no one would question a sailor wearing his dress blue uniform) and buy us beer.
It worked a few times, until it didn't.
The young guy behind the counter asked for an ID.
I showed him my military ID and of course he realized I was under age and mentioned so.
I was scared he was going to make scene or not give the ID back, but he did (no, I didn't get the beer ).
30 years later and I still kinda feel bad that I used the uniform to try to purchase booze.

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
16-we had a Mexican lady buy it for us and no "hanky-panky" either so don't go there! :l

duckbuster5901

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Summer I turned 15. Worked boardwalk joint in O.C Md. ( Chicken by the C,s) Where Boogs is now next to Thrashers Fries. Would work from 9am till usually after midnight or closure. Particularly hectic weekends friends I road to work with and ol fella by name of Ruddy from Thrashers would head down the boards to a side street open front bar by the name of Cork Bar. Coldest frozen mug draft beer known to man in that place and never an I.D. check. Young country boy learned a lot that summer! Wiffs of Weed in the air and ice cold beer, what more could a tired teen ask for! Had bought plenty of Boones Farm thru other parties prior to that. Even tried making wine from swiped grapes from a neighbors vines. That didn,t turn out well!

Last edited: