First alcohol purchase

cootmeurer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Legally? 18.
Grew up in a state that changed the drinking age while I was in high school. We freshmen saw seniors buying beer like crazy before they couldn’t, and we were right on the cusp and felt like we were getting robbed.

So, senior year a buddy and I headed to TN which still had an 18 drinking age. Got there and found out that they were easing in a Chang of age as well. My birthday was before the date, so I was legal. His was after the date so he wasn’t. But honestly the bars didn’t care.

Before heading home we filled the tank with gas, then took every other penny we had and bought all the Coors we could. Felt like kings rolling back into our home state with cases and cases of Coors (almost as if we were real life Smokey and the Bandit)

Humpback A5

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Was probably around fifteen when I first actually bought alcohol.

There was a flop house a couple miles from home and one night after dark I approached 'Red' who was one of the drunks that I'd seen around in the past and asked him if he'd go to the liquor store a block down and get me a bottle of whiskey he said sure as long as I bought him a bottle of wine.

Red came out with two pint bottles in brown paper sacks and handed me one and I went to the gas station and bought a bottle of Coke out the machine and then headed for the train trestle for a little alone time......I'd take a drink of the Old Crow then a sip of Coke to kill the burn and do it again.

I woke up the next morning still under the trestle with my first hangover......a absolutely terrible headache, horrible taste in my mouth and listening to my hair grow.

I don't know if they still make Old Crow but it was my first and last time drinking it.

old crow.JPG

texduk3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
age 16, waited outside a deli, to get a quart of Colt 45. Returned the favor a year or 2 later ................

Feathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
First purchase in a bar 16. First liquor store 17. Fake ID from my sisters friend. Age was 23 on ID. I had a baby face. They had to have known but obviously didn’t care.

Was having others buy it for me starting around 12. Not cool. Was just the way of life in the rural area I grew up. Kids got started young.

igo4dux75

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ahh, a fond memory of mine. Popped my alcohol cherry bout a week before I turned 14 on a Princess Cruise to Alaska that my grandparents took the family on. This was the week that Sadaam invaded Kuwait. You had these little charge cards that billed everything to the state room. I figured out they would serve me thanks to this little curly haired Jewish kid named Larry from New York city who looked younger then me but was almost 16. I think I was out till midnight almost evert night after the second day.
The concierge slipped the various charge bills under the stateroom door on the morning we were to disembark in Whittier Alaska. First Mom was pssd because my 9 year old brother had charged 150$ in peppermint patties and sodas. My bill was last. Lucky we were at Port because she was ticked enough to make me walk the plank. Almost $1000 in screwdrivers, white-russians, and various frilly drinks i as buying for the older girls that I could coerce into going to a bar with me.
All the staff on the ship were from Portugal or something like that. No Habla ingles and they didn't care one bit about serving teenagers. It was paradise for 5 days!

GUNNERX2

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Guess I was around 16. Bought vodka at the local cab company that made illegal deliveries around town. Walking in, there was a small window opening covered with brown cloth. A voice behind the cloth would ask what you wanted, state the price and the exchange would take place.
Beer was bought at the pizza joint, Joe Ricco's. You'd knock on the back kitchen door, Joe would open the door and ask what ya' wanted. Usual order was a six beer (Joe's term) and he'd bring back a six pack of PBR tall boys. If a raid was eminent (Joe had good intel) he would say no six beer today. We'd wait 'til the raid was over and go back for the six beer. The singer/songwriter Eddie Rabbit stopped by there once and got a kick out of Joe while he was moving around making pizzas. Ended up writing and recording the song "Tullahoma Dancing Pizza Man".

Porter Bayou

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Spring Cotillion my sophomore year of high school. Group of us and our dates had rented a limo and as luck would have it, we'd be passing by a little juke joint well known for dispensing libations to younger lake goers during the summer. We figured what the heck, we'll give it a try. Being the oldest, I drew the short straw. I walked through the rusty screen door in my rented tuxedo and it played out almost exactly like the scene from animal house. As the door slammed behind me the room went as silent as a tomb. 20 sets of eyes from the men playing cards and dominoes followed me across the room as I walked up to counter. The middle aged black lady behind the counter didn't hesitate, "Beer or Weed?"
"Beer Ma'am"
"Heavy or Light?"
"Heavies"
She proceeded to sack 4 six packs of budweiser and a handful of condoms.
"That'll be 20 dollas"
"Ma'am, I didn't ask for any condoms"
"Dat's on da house baby. You cute! If'n yo date don't take care of you, you come on back after the dance and I will!"
The whole place erupted with laughter as I grabbed my beer and condoms off the counter and lit out of their like my hair was on fire!

duckbuster2

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Probably 11 or 12 we traded a bottle of VO for a 6 pack of beer and a bottle of wine from are local party store.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Legally? 18.
Grew up in a state that changed the drinking age while I was in high school. We freshmen saw seniors buying beer like crazy before they couldn’t, and we were right on the cusp and felt like we were getting robbed.

So, senior year a buddy and I headed to TN which still had an 18 drinking age. Got there and found out that they were easing in a Chang of age as well. My birthday was before the date, so I was legal. His was after the date so he wasn’t. But honestly the bars didn’t care.

Before heading home we filled the tank with gas, then took every other penny we had and bought all the Coors we could. Felt like kings rolling back into our home state with cases and cases of Coors (almost as if we were real life Smokey and the Bandit)
18. We had to ride our bikes across a boundary..Urbana 18. Champaign 19.
I finally turned 19.
December 31 1980 Illinois raised the age to 21.
So I was legal not legal legal not legal....depending on jurisdiction.
Laws are for idiots, attorneys, politicians, and judges. Not me I'm on the list of legally- immune aliens
:l

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Whenever they started putting ethanol in the gas, otherwise I've never bought or consumed alcohol.

Latest posts