Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

First Arrivals have shown up

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by duck central, Sep 6, 2019.

1. swifthunter

swifthunter Refuge Member

Few more ross then snows

2. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Juvie Scouting Report:

Central SK- Juvie Snows are 5-8 per 100 adults, good shoots with limits 3 days out of 5
    Central SK- Juvie Snows are 5-10 per 100 adults, average shoots 30-50 birds per with 4 hunters
    Western SK- Juvie Ross are plentiful-Snows and Juvie Snows are very few

Neck Collar likes this.
  3. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Friends finished up a good week. Never got a clear answer on juvie percentage. They said they were heavy on the Ross

4. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Good trip with easy speck limits mainly trying to pick out dark bellys. They must have had a good hatch because we had lots of crazy young ones all over us every day. Had a nice small snow storm pretty much all day Monday and the geese stayed in the field all day and we struggled to kill 20 or so of mostly adult snows along with our darks. Lots of lesser darks and even finished out Tuesday afternoon with about 15 greater darks. Lots of ducks, but I think the snows still may be a little north of where we were in SE Alberta

Neck Collar and hunting1 like this.
  5. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

This is the first chance I've gotten to report. Gunning has been hit and miss with fields being drained of food fast by hungry birds. Harvest here is still underway and Awesome numbers of Rossies. Have had some epic shoots but mostly good average hunts. ( 20-50 birds)
    I took some older guys out with me on a field I had and it was a epic shoot. 7 older guys , youngest was 70 oldest was 84. This feed was holding about 70000 birds. Well I must have picked right.
    160 birds in under a hour and a half.
    Speck numbers are well above average and lots of juvies.
    I'm here another 3 weeks so I'll try to keep some kind of posts going.

6. Marc W.

Marc W. New Member

Sounds like you’re back on the hunt. Hope everything worked out for you and sorry you had to leave early. Thanks for taking us out and showing us some pointers for future hunts. Todd and I had a blast. We ended our trip with 48 whites, two ducks and I ended up getting a crane which was nice.This may not sound epic to some people but being it was our first time there we thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a lot. Next year we hope to take it to em. I am headed to North Dakota in 2 1/2 weeks so hopefully the birds will push south by then.Good luck.

7. duck central

Mark it was my pleasure taking you two out. I know both you and todd were happy with the hunt but I really thought it would be better. I want to tell you this my new friend that you are both welcome anytime or place that you want to hunt with me.
    On the final note to you Mark is the biggest thing for me is hunting with TRUE waterfowlers and you my friend are a true waterfowler. The next big thing is I really like good shooters and again Mark your a awesome shooter.
    It would be great to hunt with you both again and we could get to know each other better. Then maybe we both could give Todd a hard time about his shooting. LOL
    ANYTIME you'd like to talk please call and we can chat. I hope you feel the same way about us becoming new friends because l could see u hunting together for a long time.

8. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Saw the first flock of snows today. It was probably around 5 doz and for what such a small sample size is worth juvies made up around 2 1/2 doz of the 5 doz birds.

BB-Shot, Neck Collar and hunting1 like this.
  9. duck central

Great to hear. That's the same thing I'm seeing here in SK.

10. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

Yes, the whites have been pushed out with the 1 - 3 feet of snow we recieived in the last 2 days. Was busy snowblowing yesterday morning at dawn, flock after flock heading south.....Enjoy !!

Juvie ratio is very good , hunted 3 large groups in the last week and a half.