First Canvasback!!

Teamspoonbill

Refuge Member
Reaction score
My buddy and I went out to a little open water we knew of. I set out some decoys and layed on the ice. I wasnt even hide but o well :) Thats probably only why 3 ducks came in XD. I was standing on the ice looking the other way when i looked at the "hole" and heres this big white bird cupped up and lands in my dekes! Darn! Im about 60 yards out from him, so i walk slowly then run towards him! I realize its this beautiful drake canvasback, and that i only had 1 shell in my gun :) I started yelling at him to get up, finally jumped and i made sure i was on him, shot, and folded him! Only bird of the day, i missed a goldeneye, and when picking up the dekes a nice greenhead came in. Overall im pretty stoked!

Attachments

• canvasback!!.jpg
    canvasback!!.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 304

Gonegoosin

Refuge Member
Reaction score
That's a beautiful Bull right there. That would go on my wall for sure if I were in your shoes. Congratulations.

spaightlabs

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Fantastic bird! You may not shoot a better one in your life, though you certainly have many years to try.

Make sure you chose a great taxidermist - it would be horrible to have such a great bird ruined by average work.

Wood Duck Crazy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Freeze him in a airtight bag. He will last a few years. You may never get 1 as good as him

Duckboy

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Amazing bull you picked up. What's better is the feeling of lobbing those pellets at him, praying they do their job. Then, each time you look at the bird, the feelings come back.

Awesome:tu:tu

Atown

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Nice job that is a dandy bull. Save the bird in the freezer call a good taxidermist and get their instruction on how to freeze for the long haul. You will always want to remember your first can. I have hunted for 25 years and still one of my Most memorable days was my first bull.

Citori20ga

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Nothing like the feeling of popping one that's on your list! Here's to many more like him!

By the way, Nice Hoodie! :tu:tu

Latest posts