First set of decoys

Mean Gene

Reaction score
If you're going to be carrying them on your back, consider weight.

Tugboater76

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will mainly be duck hunting public land so it’s all pretty much walk in. There are some flooded areas that are about knee deep.

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
I have become a big fan of the Dakota Packables. Soft plastic, you can collapse them if you want more packing room. They go right back to their shape in the field. Light, move well, and the 'paint' and head flocking has held up for 3 years now.

Check out post #3

ARHHH4

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have become a big fan of the Dakota Packables. Soft plastic, you can collapse them if you want more packing room. They go right back to their shape in the field. Light, move well, and the 'paint' and head flocking has held up for 3 years now.

Check out post #3
I bought two dozen Dakota packables about a year ago from Rogers. Hunt mostly public walk in areas like you. Have worked good so far and held up great. For walking in, I think Avians are heavy, though they look great. I hunted over Divebomb mallards last week with a hunting partner, and asked him if they were GHG progrades? He said “nope,
Divebombs.” They look good in the water, but I’m not givin them goons a dime. I’ve got one of their dirt daggers for my silos but that’s the only DB thing I own. If Al had something of the sorts, I’d sell it off and buy his. I do agree with what others have said. Buy the best looking birds you can afford and throw em on Texas rigs

mightywalleyehunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Somewhere in MN, IA, or WI. Probably lost.
First time hunter don't buy new. Buy cheap and touch up with paint. Saves money and you'll appreciate it more.
I actually hunt over my first set of repainted Herters mallards only once a year now, they've gained a sentimental value to me.

Since you said money wasn't a concern, My public land walk in rig (primary) is 3 dozen lifetimes w/o the weights. 1.5 on a jerk cord and carried in a decoy bag and the rest on texas rigs
love em, no discoloration and very minimal paint chipping.

USMC-Ret

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score

kruschpa

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
G&H all the way if money is not a concern. They will outlast all the others.
One of the few made in USA still
This is a good deal on seconds
6A82AB00-E404-49D7-AFD0-EB314B1E1455.png

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Buy yourself a couple dozen used Flambeau water keels. The pre storm front models are stupid light. Texas rig or similar ( I HATE true Texas rigs) and dont look back. All this BS of needing the best, most realistic decoys is just that BS. I've killed several thousand ducks on pressured public lands with what other people call junkers from the 80's. One has to remember, they are pea brained ducks. Focus on finding the best camo net or blind you can find, that is the most critical thing in decoying ducks, period.