First set of decoys

Ksoutdoors

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Buy yourself a couple dozen used Flambeau water keels. The pre storm front models are stupid light. Texas rig or similar ( I HATE true Texas rigs) and dont look back. All this BS of needing the best, most realistic decoys is just that BS. I've killed several thousand ducks on pressured public lands with what other people call junkers from the 80's. One has to remember, they are pea brained ducks. Focus on finding the best camo net or blind you can find, that is the most critical thing in decoying ducks, period.
I sold all my fancy avian x decoys after I bought about 4 dz old water keel flambeaus and g and h at an auction. Those flambeaus are crazy light, and I haven’t noticed a difference in birds decoying either. Don’t think I paid more then $20 for all of them it was a steal.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I sold all my fancy avian x decoys after I bought about 4 dz old water keel flambeaus and g and h at an auction. Those flambeaus are crazy light, and I haven’t noticed a difference in birds decoying either. Don’t think I paid more then $20 for all of them it was a steal.
I wish I'd known you were selling those Avian-X's.......

(no better deal anywhere than used Avian-X duck decoys)

EWUEagles

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I wish I'd known you were selling those Avian-X's.......

(no better deal anywhere than used Avian-X duck decoys)
I’ve been selling mine for more than I paid for them haha. I also bought a whole bunch old g&h that is all I use, well that and my hand carved decoys.

wingmatt

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
For walking in I agree the "packables" like the Dakotas would be good, being a little lighter than most others. I have similar ones (Lucky Duck Deception decoys), and besides being lighter they seem durable and lifelike. What general part of Washington are you in?

Tugboater76

Refuge Member
Reaction score
For walking in I agree the "packables" like the Dakotas would be good, being a little lighter than most others. I have similar ones (Lucky Duck Deception decoys), and besides being lighter they seem durable and lifelike. What general part of Washington are you in?
I’m in yakima

Tugboater76

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I saw on Rogers, that I can get 3 dozen last flight buy FA pretty cheap. Will it really matter that they are considerably small in size. Having 3 dozen for walk in spots might be helpful. What do you all think?

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I saw on Rogers, that I can get 3 dozen last flight buy FA pretty cheap. Will it really matter that they are considerably small in size. Having 3 dozen for walk in spots might be helpful. What do you all think?
You're better off with fewer, larger decoys. I hunt a lot of open water and know for a fact that smaller decoys disappear at distances larger decoys are still clearly visible. Doesnt matter how many decoys you have if the birds can't see them.

FriedPotatoes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You're better off with fewer, larger decoys. I hunt a lot of open water and know for a fact that smaller decoys disappear at distances larger decoys are still clearly visible. Doesnt matter how many decoys you have if the birds can't see them.

But won’t a bunch of smaller decoys clustered up in a ball appear as one big object?

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
But won’t a bunch of smaller decoys clustered up in a ball appear as one big object?
A couple hundred packed in 1-2 feet apart will get you started. Want real results with that theory, do it with half as many magnums. The cove of the bay I hunt is almost 27 square miles of open water. It's why I know a little about visibility.

Latest posts