First single reed

MidwestGooser

Reaction score
I’m looking to make the switch from a double reed to a single reed call. I’ve blown doubles for awhile now and feel that I’m pretty good with them, but I‘ve heard you can get more out of a single reed. What call would be best to start with? I’m willing to buy an expensive acrylic call to start if it would be better to start with that, but I know sometimes it’s easier to learn on the cheaper version (I‘m thinking Ford Taurus vs Ferrari for a first car) before graduating to a higher performance model. I‘m thinking I want something a little louder than average for the first one as most of my doubles are rather quiet and will suffice when I want a quieter call. I’m thinking a Lares Hybrid would be a good choice as it seems most folks on here are rather fond of them and I haven’t seen much negative about them. Is that a good choice or would I be better off with something else?
Thanks

DrakeStar

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hybrid would be a great choice,get you a selection of reed length to play around with. Then practice perfect practice.

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What are you looking to do with a single reed? Loud ringing hails, or just lower volume ranges? Do you like easy to blow, or harder to blow calls? Do you want a cleaner sound, or something more gruff? You need to know those answers, before you pick a call.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hybrid would be a great choice,get you a selection of reed length to play around with. Then practice perfect practice.

I've not kept a Lares, but I've owned their T1 and Magnum Hen and had a Hybrid and ACH(?) on long term loan. Good calls, all, and I'd think either the Hybrid or T1 (standard-bored, since you're wanting "louder") someone else mentioned would get you off to a fine start.

And I underscored that section of DrakeStar's suggestion, because each of our physiologies, methodologies and tone preferences differ some, and Lares' pre-cut tune-by-numbers reed kits make it super easy to tune a call for best "fit". Not that trimming one's own reeds to that end is remotely the black magic many seem to think it is, just that scads of calls that might otherwise be "The One" are more struggle or disappointment than need be, because they didn't happen to come out of the box tuned for best fit.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
RNT Original

Were I considering an Original, I'd pony up another $10 and get the bit more versatile and slicker running MVP that evolved from it. (Which is, no surprise to regulars here, my field first.) Suspect hunters may be put off by the MVP's "main street" contest record and/or think it requires some special expertise just to run it, rather than simply shining brightest in expert hands, as is the case with every call...