First time build-a-honey-hole

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by MadDawgDixie, Jan 28, 2021.

1. MadDawgDixie

MadDawgDixie Refuge Member

we’ve got a ton of lily pads on the pond,according to the landowner he’s seen about 80 ducks on it at once in years past,for Georgia standards it’s been pretty good shooting before the last couple of years,if we can get it back up and going it’d be great since our WMAs are shot to pieces

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I agree that's sounds like a good plan. It is very rewarding to develop property for wild life and harvest off of it. Best thing is you can control the hunting pressure and manage it to suit your kind of hunting. Btw, try the fishing...bet there's some good fish already in there.

MadDawgDixie likes this.
  3. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Elite Refuge Member

In my opinion if you can’t control the water level you aren’t really managing a duck hole, you just have a pond. If you can drop the water, plant something (millet or smartweed) and then put the water back on at the start of season you will likely have ducks.

WuChang and JFG like this.
  4. StrmChzr

StrmChzr Senior Refuge Member

Yeppers - I like 80 ducks sitting on a pond for sure! I'd start digging in to figure out what's changed.

Maybe start with Google Earth's historical satellite images and try correlating "good years" with pond conditions?

5. ripline

ripline Elite Refuge Member

Good advice.