First Timer in MO

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by jjb27, Feb 6, 2019.

1. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

Hello all, nice to be hear. I am a first time turkey hunter. I've done some dove and duck hunting in the past. I am looking for guidance on setting up a decoy spread and what type of call to learn on. Currently, I have an Avian X breeder hen and am looking to make an addition but am not sure what gender or posture to add to what I already have. Also, what type of call is best to learn on?

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

IMO, hard to beat a quarter-strut jake on private land, with a hen decoy. Most toms can't hardly stand to see a young male courting a hen. They HAVE to come in and run him off. Don't use a male decoy on public land. Some dipsheet will come along and think they walked up on a shootable turkey and blast it.

Get a box call, and a slate call, and learn to use them. They are the easiest. Then, get a diaphragm call, and learn it. I learned a diaphragm while driving back and forth to work. Keep it in your mouth all day at first, without even using it if you'd like. Get to the point you don't gag every time it moves around. Then, start making yelps with it. You can also mouth call.

3. Okie Fowler

Okie Fowler Senior Refuge Member

When we turkey hunt in Kansas, we're a little unorthodox in our approach...we deer hunt them. No calls or decoys. We pretty much know their pattern and where they roost. We get out there before sunrise and listen for them to gobble on the roost. Once they pitch out of the trees, we're waiting on them. Some times it's a little cat and mouse, but we usually get them in our sights. Totally different way of hunting compared to Oklahoma/Arkansas. This is all on public land.

4. jjb27

jjb27 Refuge Member

Sounds like you've got a prime spot. I will be hunting public land but don't have a spot chosen yet. Im going to sign up for a couple and see where that gets me in terms of a managed hunt, otherwise, I could be all over.

5. Packrattusnongratus

Packrattusnongratus New Member

I'm new here but wondering how you did? Hope success came your way. Lucky or otherwise. Since I'm from Misery too, do you have a photo? Thanks and Be Well, Packy