Decoy Forum Sponsors

Flocking Gun

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by PorkChop, Aug 1, 2021.

1. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

My goose decoy heads are way past the point of needing to be reflocked. When I was searching for flocking, this gun came up as a recommended item. Any of you use this flocking gun or recommend another brand? All my heads are screwed in so I’m trying to save the pain of unscrewing them.

FB93601D-FC6B-4BA3-B74D-F8EAFB5ABF23.jpeg

BTW it’s a good thing I proofread this post as flocking got changed to another famous word.

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

cool toy.
    I thought you were flocking a gun.
    Lol
    About smart phone editing.
    Mine changes words a lot.
    once I texted "duck that birtch" because my clever phone edited it for me.:l
    What are the flocking?
    ;)

Tuleman likes this.
  3. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

I hand painted with rustoleum, just the heads, and hand sprinkled the flocking over an aluminum foil pan. Let dry, and repeat. Some have the heads attached, some come off.

A good base of flocking takes flat black rustoleum very well, brush it on 1” brush, or spray paint and touch up the white cheek patch.

now, I mostly just paint right over flocking, or even spray paint in the middle of the season. I did about 50 bigfoot heads years back. Some painted black ducks, I flocked, and I touch up avian-x lessers once a year now. D9F2BE18-D36F-4D57-921E-2409F1C237D8.jpeg CF2A8F4F-87A5-44B0-AA90-9E7E3B876B8E.jpeg D4FF5E56-0DF6-4416-AD1A-81EAC5DA11C3.jpeg AD512706-08E8-4B46-B189-475E16EF1109.jpeg AABAC02A-885A-42AB-82B3-9D04CAE24F59.jpeg

Aunt Betty and PorkChop like this.
  4. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Never used a gun to flock. Used a powder sugar/flour ‘dispenser’ or whatever they’re called. Hold the head over a box, sprinkle flocking on. Collect the extra flocking and keep flocking til your heart’s content. :dv

Dirtybird420 and PorkChop like this.
  5. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

never used a flocking gun and don't think i would after doing several hundred goose heads. just cost decoy with glue adhesive or paint of your choice and grab a hand full of the flocking and throw on the decoy, shaking it and tapping it on the plastic tub I have flocking in and applying it on several times before handing heads up on a coat rack I modified for hanging decoy heads. I use a foam chisel brush and apply the adhesive around the beak and cheek patch and then use a 1" brush on the remainder of the head.

If you haven't flocked before, buy a big plastic tub with high sides and flock the heads inside of the tub to avoid flocking dust going all over the place. I try to do it outside as much as possible even when using the tub as I found I still got flocking dust all over the garage when I did it.

PorkChop and Dr Swane like this.
  6. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

I have flocked the heads before but they were not attached to the body at the time. Trying to avoid taking the heads off as that will require unscrewing the screws I put in the heads to keep them from falling off when I toss them in the trailer.
    Also I do use black rustoleum as suggested above.

7. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Elite Refuge Member

Leave the heads on and paint over the black/or flocking, hand sprinkle over a pan. Takes about 4+ hours to dry before the next coat. With the heads attached, just put the decoys off in the yard. If done it with the one piece decoys and the bigfoots with glued and screwed on heads.

PorkChop likes this.
  8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

Use gloss rustoleum for your glue. It will stay wetter longer and aid in the work time and adhesion. I use a simple kitchen sieve to sift and we have flocked thousands and thousands this way. I've tried the flocking gun and it wastes a lot of material. The most consistent coverage is by painting a liberal amount of gloss rustoleum on the decoy and then sifting flocking over the area and don't shake it off, I call it shaking it on. Tap on the unpainted part of a decoy or even the hand you are holding the decoy with with the flocking treated side up, vibrating the surface and getting the flocking to settle into the paint, only when you cease to see any shine do you move to another part of the decoy. It's kind of hard to explain, but I see a lot of mistakes being made. Do not pat the flocking into the paint, you'll get a stronger and better finish just by vibrating the flocking into the paint. It only takes a couple of minutes per decoy per color. If you feel it necessary to paint, use the same rustoleum thinned with 100% mineral spirits to go through an airbrush. It doesn't matter with the airbrush if the rustoleum is gloss or flat, just keep in mind gloss paint is more durable than flat.

adsmallard.jpg

9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I use a rubbermaid tub and apply like Swane then sort of wait then tap tap the excess off. It's slow but the flocking goes a long way.

10. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

PC, use painters tape( blue stuff).

PorkChop likes this.