Decoy Forum Sponsors

Flocking Mallard Heads

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by Blk_dog21, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Blk_dog21

Blk_dog21 New Member

Has anyone tried flocking their older mallard decoy heads? I think it would make a difference. When I scout for mallards the drake heads always look very dark compared to the light green on painted decoys like older avainx or ghgs.

2. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

I've flocked about 20,000 mallards by now, the last 100 a few weeks ago, they were GHG shells. All were flocked black and highlighted a bit with green though the airbrush. Those few mallards I flock for my own personal use are left black.

Lastflight likes this.
  3. Blk_dog21

Blk_dog21 New Member

Makes sense thanks!

4. Woodduck31

I had a biology teacher back in high school during the dark ages of course that showed us a mallard head under magnification and pointed out the feathers are black. I guess that kind of stuck with me as well as how effective black flocking has been in my own hunting experience.

5. Blk_dog21

Blk_dog21 New Member

Do you have any pictures of your personal decoys?

6. Woodduck31

apparently no pictures with just black heads, lost 13,000 photos in a computer melt down. I sold all of my duck hunting stuff last spring, so I don't have any decoys left to photograph. I have a photo of a hollow wood buffie that is just flocked black and white. I didn't see the need to paint the head. The picture of the mallard, black, wigeon and goldeneye would be how I would flock for people buying flocked decoys. Painting the green is more of a concession to a client than what I feel is necessary. I once took a pair of wigeon drakes out with a friend, one had airbrushing done for details, the other was just flocked, no green on the head, no details on the back etc. We had them set at about 20 yards and the guy couldn't tell which one was painted at that distance. It makes a difference to a customer, I don't think it makes a difference to a duck, but what do I know about what a duck thinks or sees. Lots of people talk about how small the brain of a duck is, but if that's the measure why can't I fool more big brown trout with my green drake cripple, their brain is smaller than a duck. Maybe the only pea brains are us duck hunters. What I know is given the choice, I'd go with black and white on decoys, the rest is just pretty stuff. I make a lot of fancy decoys, but it's just because I can, not because I think they work better.

51931715_1149034398602922_8772854831070052352_n.jpg 82720439_1435597896613236_7700094235298496512_n.jpg

Blk_dog21 likes this.
  7. Blk_dog21

Blk_dog21 New Member

Wow they look great especially the wigeons back feathers

8. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

So Don, would the gist of your opinion be that flocking helps, but the airbrush details not so much?

9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I myself wish I could try on a set of duck eyes.
    The more educated I get about it the more I don't know.
    My flocked mallards.
    I sort of just use what I have handy and that project I had flourescent green marking paint.
    I painted heads with that then flocked in layers. They glow. Dumb as hell but it actually worked. :eek:

10. Woodduck31

my experience with flocked decoys is the most important color is black. you just can't get super black with just paint. As far as other colors, white would be next. Overall full body flocking doesn't make much difference if it's rainy and overcast, but can make a huge difference in clear sunny conditions by diffusing light from wave action or just wet decoys. I've seen that difference first hand in one of my hunting spots that has ducks coming in on the sunny side. Smooth decoys get real shiny when they get wet, flocked decoys not so much. I'd rather have a decoy surface that I know will work in all conditions and not worry about how it looks on sunny days. My objective when I make decoys for others is that when a duck lands, they swim in and wonder why ain't they talking to me. My OCD is all about doing the best job I can with anything, not to do the least I can do and get away with it. As far as airbrush details, it only takes about 5 minutes to paint a mallard hen, so why not do the details. You'd have to ask a duck what really matters.

Blk_dog21 and FriedPotatoes like this.