Flows helpful to the GSL?

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Vanilla, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

So we all know that we are receiving near-record snow falls this year and the water year isn't over yet. The folks that know are saying that the upcoming storms may put us over the highest snow totals Utah has ever received. With this comes the concerns of massive flooding. So I went and took a look at current stream flows to see what was going on. They are BOOMING compared to the long term average for this time of year. Here are some examples:

Weber River at Echo: Long term average for now is 10 cfs. It's flowing at 1430 cfs.

East Canyon Creek: LT AVG is around 10 cfs, it's flowing at 231 cfs.

Lost Creek: LT avg 10 cfs, flowing at 95 cfs.

SF Ogden: Lt avg 100 cfs, flowing at 168 cfs (but was around 250 a few days ago)

(The Bear was flowing higher, but is pretty close to the LT avg in today's reading)

These are a few examples of water that ends up flowing towards the GSL, right? So my question is this: How much of that water is actually getting there right now? I know it's a big lake, and opening up the faucet for a week isn't going to fill it up. But it has to help, right? And with run-off not even started yet for the most part, does all this water have the potential to help things out on the GSL? Especially since agriculture season hasn't started yet, and they should not be drawing on the water at this time. Most should be getting to it's final destination, right? Or am I just wishful thinking here?

2. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

Tyson,
    whats your source?? got a website?? would be pretty cool to watch as the snow melts!

3. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

4. silversurfer

silversurfer Elite Refuge Member

They have had the heads open in the jordon river for the past month. Never saw them open up so early. We can only hope.:pra

5. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior Refuge Member

I know the Weber has been chugging for a couple months now. The graph for the GSL shows it is up 2' from Dec to present. Man I hope that is correct and she keeps coming up. More the merrier for the fishes and the ducks. Bring on the floods.

6. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

Here is a link where you can follow the level of the GSL. It has gone up almost two feet in both the north and the south. The heavy rains in December kick started things. It would be nice to see it rise a few more feet or ten.

http://ut.water.usgs.gov/greatsaltlake/elevations/

7. UTH20FOWLER

UTH20FOWLER Senior Refuge Member

I would like to blame it on the Mormons but i cant find any data from the early 70's - 80's Fetchen

The water sucks it really has screwed up the spring fishing the blue wings were just starting.

Its feast or famine on the GSL to much water but not enough only grows more phrag and the drought slows it down but no were for the birds to sit.

check out snotel.com they have snow depth and how much water is in the snow.

8. mudderfodder

mudderfodder Senior Refuge Member

Ah, but it is the Mormons' fault. God sends famine, pestilence, drought, and floods when we misbehave. We have been in a drought, and now we face floods, because we Mormons keep electing jack wads to run the State.

9. bustsducks

bustsducks Elite Refuge Member

It doesn't seem like we had that much snow this year to me? But i guess we got it in the mountains where it counts. I only used my snow blower maybe twice. I was up on the east side of Bountiful this week and it looks like the lake hasn't changed. I heard rumor that crews were working on a Dam on the Jordon and they were diverting water down the Gauguin instead of flowing through the clubs & Farmington.

10. silverkittens73

silverkittens73 Senior Refuge Member

Well after flying into the SLC International Airport three weeks ago - I think the GSL could handle all the floodwater the state can give to it for a very long time. The route we flew in order to land flew us perfectly over the GSL, the South end duck clubs, etc and the GSL was so low that you wouldn't know the GSL was existent.

Hope the time comes that the lake raises high enough to put those $40 Million Dollar pumps to good use that good old Norm Bangerter bought us 30 years ago.