Fly fishing near Orlando?

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Squaller, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I am going to a seminar in mid June in Orlando...

Interested in hiring a guide for some fly-fishing. Salt-water would be preferable, and I am wondering what type of opportunity or how good the fishing would be in that area typically in mid-June?

I went to school in South Miami, but was not fly-fishing at that time. I did quite a bit of spin-fishing in that area, but I do not know the Orlando area at all or what type of fishing would be available?

Thanks in advance...

2. torrentduck

torrentduck Senior Refuge Member

Mosquito lagoon redfish and trout was my bread and butter fishing efforts when I lived in Florida (~15 1/2 yrs). Lots of fly fishers enjoy it. I Freelanced usually -- hired guide once, but Sorry no names for you, but there are a number of guides over there. June can be good, but if gets too hot too soon and Oxygen issues occur, it can be spotty.

3. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

You can google search the grass die off on the Indian River and mosquito lagoon..... It started about 2010 but now the place is almost a sterile desert.....nothing like the "old days". There are still a few decent fish around though.

[​IMG]

Since O town is mid state and it is about 50 miles to salt water either way you go.... Go to the west coast where the habitat is not totally screwed.... I know a couple good young hot shots over there if you want a name

What are you looking to catch? I could get you out on some small to medium Tarpon and some other inshore stuff.... or some big stuff ( 9 / 10 wt and bigger rod ) along the beach.....

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I will be in Orlando for a seminar... The wife is going to take the kids for the "Disney experience" and do some other sight-seeing... My plan is to take Monday for myself to fly-fish, likely with a guide. I realize it is fishing, but I am frankly not interested in fishing if the prospects are not all that great. Fishing all day for one decent snook would not be what I would consider very good.

Small tarpon would be a kick for me on the fly rod... I caught a few in the Miami area in the canals when I went to grad school, but I was not fly-fishing at the time, and it was not consistent success.

5. duckmanJR

Well....You could do Disney for Bass.... plenty of them there... and since mid June is Africa style hot.... quit by 10 ish and do the family thing if they are still alive.

At that time of year.... You could grab a hotel on the beach ( same $$ as the better O town places) .... and walk the beach the first hour and bang fish in the first trough ( at your feet) ....anything from little 18-20 inchers up to big slob snook. The fam can do the beach thing and gets you what you want also... Think Melbourne beach area... and then if you wanted a shot at the Tarpon late afternoon / eve ...I am sure I could get you a look at them....they are not always very co-operative but they are there.

Keep in mind the time of year...it will not be impossible to have heat index's close to 100 that time of year..... Early AM is best and late afternoon after our daily thunderstorm cooling things down is second best.... Night fishing docks is also a solid way to connect on fish at that time of year.....and less brutal on fisherman.

6. duckmanJR

Oh....I guess I should have said....I'm not a guide....just a dude who retired young and likes to hunt and fish...like a disease or weird religion ...LOL

7. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Twice when I’ve been In Orlando for business I’ve taken my wife. We stayed a few extra days and have gone fishing over in Mosquito Lagoon. Fished both times with Fly and Fin. Had young guy by the name
    Of Alex as our guide. Always did us good despite poor weather and not always the best time of year. We don’t fly fish but they do a lot of it. Worth a look. Good luck

https://finandflycharters.com/