For the 20ga crowd

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Larry Welch, May 19, 2021.

1. Larry Welch

Larry Welch Senior Refuge Member

How big of a difference have you guys found between 7/8oz loadings and 1oz loadings on the pattern boards?

I used what I have available to pattern a new to me o/u. It's a Tristar. The loads I have on hand 2s, 3s, and 4s are mostly 7/8oz loads in various brands (fio,win,kent), with the exception of a Hevi hammer load in 3s and BC loads(15/16) in 2s. At 30 and 40 yards by rangefinder I got decent patterns with M/IM.

When I had some 1oz loads in the past, another firearm, IC was the choke with decent patterns out to 35-40. ( best was Rio 1 oz)

I know every firearm is different and responds to loads differently. Just curious if anyone else has noticed any differences.

The HH load was the least impressive on the pattern board, Win and BC 2s, Win 4s and Fio 3s were very respectable and Kent 3s was by far the most impressive in 7/8oz.

This is with the factory chokes. I could work with maybe LM/IM but I'm curious when I use up this batch of ammo (will take a couple seasons) and go back to 1oz if I'll have to order a different set of chokes.

2. Drake91

Drake91 Elite Refuge Member

Honestly I didnt do any patterning in my montefeltro last season i ran all 7/8oz load of Kent's in 2 3/4" #5's and 3" #3's all 7/8oz load... long as i put the pattern on the bird i smashed woodies and mallards and that was with the factory flush modified... this summer I'm gonna do some patterning with the new retay I picked up I do have a box of 1oz kent #2's I'll throw a pattern up with also... might do that this weekend

Fogie likes this.
  3. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

For lead loads, my fixed mod choke 1100 in 20 gauge shoots the 1 ounce load well.

The one ounce pattern is tighter and, of course, denser than the 7/8.

it maybe a happy coincidence that the heavy payload patterns tighter... therefore for long shots I shoot the heavier load.

Again, lead target load and not scientific data. We punch a steel plate painted with white grease a couple times one day and eyeballed the patterns.

4. JohnDiver

JohnDiver Senior Refuge Member

That extra 1/8 oz tends to show up in the pattern, as usable pellets. It’s minimum 12% more pellets...

I think the reduced velocity of the 1oz loads plays a larger role than the actual number of pellets.

In the field? Maybe some days it helps. Maybe not. You can probably kill them with rock salt at 20 ga ranges.

Dave in AZ likes this.
  5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I think in 20 ga, shooting reasonable ranges out to 35 yards - 3s and 4s are the ticket. Pattern density gets sketchy in 2s but at close range 30 yards and in the 2s are deadly if put pattern on the duck.

Tuleman likes this.
  6. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

My 20,s , Winchester sx3, 2 Brownings & Benelli M2 like the Rio 3" 1 oz. #3 shot loads thru LM & Mod. Also get great patterns from Hevi Metal 3" x 1 oz. #3,s. Guns are equipped with Briley X2 chokes. Most of the time L Mod is whats in except for the citori which gets the combo.

7. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of the pattern performance differences you might find between 7/8- and 1-ounce steel loads.

Pattern numbers from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" KENT ALL-PURPOSE STEEL LOAD
    7/8 oz #4 steel (180 pellets) @ 1490 fps
    30 YARDS – SK / pattern 125 (69%)
    40 YARDS – IM / pattern 132 (73%)

20 GA 3" KENT FASTEEL LOAD
    7/8 oz #4 steel (168 pellets) @ 1550 fps
    30 YARDS – SK / pattern 109 (65%)
    40 YARDS – IM / pattern 107 (64%)

20 GA 3" FEDERAL STEEL LOAD
    1 oz #4 steel (186 pellets) @ 1330 fps
    30 YARDS – SK / pattern 134 (72%)
    40 YARDS – IM / pattern 127 (68%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL MAGNUM LOAD
    1 oz #4 steel (191 pellets) @ 1330 fps
    30 YARDS – SK / pattern 134 (70%)
    40 YARDS – IM / pattern 147 (77%)

Hope this helps, good luck!

8. Larry Welch

Larry Welch Senior Refuge Member

JH are they usable patterns out of the sk at 30? I couldn't get usable patterns out of my Sk but with the Kent 3s, IC or LM would be acceptable but not by much.

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I use Carlson in CR or Mid Range and patterns are acceptable. I will get blasted, but I bought Hevi X 6 shot for my 20 and it does really good pattern density wise.

Larry Welch and Drake91 like this.
  10. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Larry -- For full disclosure, I use the 1-ounce loads to maintain good pattern density and, as you can see, they provide adequate pattern density through my SK choke at 30 yards.

The Kent Fasteel 7/8-ounce load has lower pattern numbers than the 1-ounce loads, but it should still be adequate for large ducks and a little light on pattern density for medium and small ducks per Roster's Lethality table, so I would definitely keep them for inside 30-yard shots with the SK choke.

An IC, LM, or Mod choke will probably improve the 7/8-ounce patterns, but you would have to pattern them to really know! I did not pattern the 7/8-ounce loads through those chokes since the 1-ounce loads were what was working with in my SK/IM choke combo, so I just patterned them in those chokes to see how they would do.

As a side note, I'm not sure the Kent All-Purpose Steel load is even available now a days.

Hope this helps, good luck!