For the 20ga crowd

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Larry Welch, May 19, 2021.

1. LADucks

LADucks Senior Refuge Member

I want that load in a #4 and we’d be set. Nothing else is as fast and heavy.

2. baltz526

baltz526 Elite Refuge Member

When I was shooting the 20ga a lot. What I found was #4 steel crippled more, #3 steel crippled less, #2 steel killed best. It really had little to do with pattern density. The #2 pellets just killed better. Federal, Remington, Estate, Kent in #2 steel, brand made little difference. At the time 20ga 3" #4 bismuth was $1.32 per shell. It was better. Any load with over 100 pellets is fine for ducks. All the 3" 20ga #2 steel loads meet this level. Center the pattern on the bird, you will get to eat it.

Bclick, 5 stand and Dave in AZ like this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Didn't know we were voting, but me, too. 20ga Upland Steel 5s have served me well for several seasons. Had a dalliance with cheaper Rio 7/8oz 5s, as well, but it appears they've quit making them, and I'm back with my first love.

JP likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

You do realize, don't you, that those two characteristics are inextricably tied together.....?

5. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ HTL pellets (as the second and/or third cartridge) solved that situation with the 20 gauge.

6. LADucks

I didn’t mean that as you lose zero range by the numbers. What I mean is that people almost create a straw man, and are unrealistic about what is lost. They think because their effective range went from 45/50 down to 35 they can’t kill ducks. I’d bet the amount of ducks you cleanly kill in those 10yrds are few and far between for most folks. I just went up a pellet size or two to get back some density and really focus on that 0-35. I’ve picked up more ducks in that range than I ever lost from the range I abandoned.

7. Drake91

Drake91 Elite Refuge Member

Well yeah if every hunter shot birds in the decoys at 35 and in they would be alot more successful... most people cant kill birds past 30 yards consistently....

8. LADucks

Which is why I believe focusing on that range in the 20g with my gun and load actually nets me more birds because of ease of shooting and follow up shots. I had a noticeable increase in doubles/triples.

Bclick likes this.
  9. Drake91

Drake91 Elite Refuge Member

Same goes for a 12ga... problem is not saying you did but most people think firing 3-3.5" heavy loads think they can kill birds at 50 yards all day buy they have no clue what their pattern looks like at that range.... or if they are even have enough lead on the bird... regardless of the gauge anyone chooses if you shoot em in the range you can kill birds at it dont matter... but I did notice my follow up shots being alot faster with a 20 which is what I like but if i shot smaller payloads in a 12 I could achieve the same results probably also

Bclick and Tuleman like this.
  10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

^^^ Flinching likely accounts for not only the initial miss, delaying the follow up and the second and third misses as well. The 20 gauge (as well as the 16 & 28 gauges) has probably alleviated this problem for more and more gunners and word is spreading.

How many 3 1/2” twelve gauge shotguns sport some type of “recoil reduction “ gimmick?

Drake91 likes this.