Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

For those who make their own E callers?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by honkerhunter02, Feb 27, 2004.

1. How do you do it, I know you can use a car stereo deck, but how did you do all of the wiring into the car stereo, into teh speaker/s, and to a battery. I have all teh components but im trying to figure out how to configure the wiring. Lookin for some ideas, im not creative enough.

2. wtrfwlhntr

wtrfwlhntr Senior Refuge Member

I have heard of a few guys taking boom boxes and using them. Some guys use the ones that have the speakers that can seperate from the player then adding speaker wire to spread them out from each other. You also could add extra speakers to it as well. Paint the speakers white them just throw them out there and you shouldn't have to hide them (extra decoy). Sounds a little simpler then rewiring a car stereo. Hope this helps.

3. dosch

dosch Elite Refuge Member

Here's the easy way in my point of view.....
    http://www.predatormastersforums.com/homemadeecaller.html
    if you already have a portable cd player than your all good to go...all it takes is $55 and about 5 minutes of your spare time. I did this and went with a 60 watt hornspeaker and it is loud loud loud!

dosch

4. snowgoosegear

snowgoosegear Senior Refuge Member

My webpage has a link that shows how to make one on your own. Its pretty easy to do & can save you some $. My main issue with the e-callers on the market are that they don't produce enough volume to reach out to snows.

http://www.snowgoosegear.com/store/doityourselfecaller.html

I need to update the links for parts but the best place to buy the speakers now is radio shack. They have 50w PA speakers for $20.

If you want to eliminate moving parts you can go to an MP3 player & hook it up with a car stereo amp. I would recommend just about any car stereo amp with 4 channels (1 for each speaker) running around 200watts. I bought a couple on ebay that were new for about $30.

Good luck & let me know how it turns out.

Lee Kendall

5. win4win

win4win Elite Refuge Member

I used the car cd deck. I attached alligator clips to the pos/neg battery connections and used round wire crimp connectors for the speaker wire connections. I taped off the extra wires that werent needed to hide them out of the way.

I'll try to get some pictures of my rig up soon.

6. CANME

CANME Elite Refuge Member

We made one of our own and it rocks. Very loud and only cost $40, already had cd player. Going to make another one so we will have three in the spread. Going to put 100' lines on the next one with dual speakers. It has worked GREAT the last 3 days. Pullling large groups far away and VERY HIGH migrators down in tight. Try one out.

7. win4win

win4win Elite Refuge Member

As promised.......pic of the caller I am running this year. For this pic I dont have the 1/4 plywood bottom in the bag (wet paint) on which I anchor the battery so it doesnt slide around. This setup lets you throw the whole rig over your shouler and go. Great for when you cant drive in the fields. That and the wireless remote make this outfit very user friendly. :D

[​IMG]

8. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

Win4Win...

That is exactly the setup I am putting together this week. I will have 45 or 50 watt speakers. My question is this, how long will that thing run on one battery??? I guess the temperature has a lot to do with it, but have you "field tested" it in the house for battery life? If so, how long and what are the battery specs?

I don't know exactly what battery I am gonna use...it has a lot to do with weight...and I think I only want to spare 20lbs at the most for a battery.

One more thing, do you use an amp at all? Or is it plenty loud as is?

Thanks for any info.

Ron

9. snowgoosegear

snowgoosegear Senior Refuge Member

The cheapest/best source I've found for speakers is radio shack. They sell a 50w waterproof PA speaker for about $20.

I ran an ecaller almost exactly like the one pictured above last season. This year I'm using car stereo amplifiers hooked up to mp3 players & walkman style CD players. You get much better volume from the amp than you will from most car stereos & there are no moving parts.

I would be careful about spreading out the speakers too much. Sometimes the snow will go "to the sound" & if your speakers are too spread out they may not land where you want them to.

Lee

10. Gander D. Bander

Gander D. Bander Elite Refuge Member

I put 50 foot wires on my 2 60 watt radioshack speakers not so much to get the speakers spread out thru the spread but more just to get them away from me as much as I love to listen to snows carry on, I don't like to hear it right in my ear.:eek: :D