Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

For those who make their own E callers?

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by honkerhunter02, Feb 27, 2004.

1. win4win

win4win Elite Refuge Member

Ron

The smaller garden tractor battery (EverStart @ Walmart) seems to do the trick and cuts down on weight. I dont anticipate the battery being a problem. It should run about 2 days on that setup without a charge. As long as I can get near an outlet each evening it shouldnt be a problem. The CD deck I am running has a built in 160 watt amp. I got a good deal on the CD deck otherwise I would be running an external amp. The setup as it is now is plenty loud with the built in amp and 40 watts speakers.

Snowgoosegear

About how much are you putting into mp3 setups? The only thing keeping me from going with the mp3 + walkman CD + car amp type arrangement this year was cost. I picked up my wireless CD deck for $48 so it was a hard deal to pass up. On the cheap side when I looked at the mp3 rig it was about $50 for an adequate mp3 player, about $70 for an amp to push 4 - 50 watt speakers and about $30-40 for a portable CD player. Does that sound about right or did I miss something.

Thanks!!

2. snowgoosegear

snowgoosegear Senior Refuge Member

The cost depends on how much time you have to put it together. I picked up a couple MP3 players & a couple amps on ebay for good prices. If you want to buy them in the store it will probably cost you $40-50 for the amp & $50-70 for a good MP3. I was able to get MP3's/amps for about half that cost so for me it was a good option. The cheapest route is definitely getting a car stereo (CD or cassette).

Lee

3. win4win

win4win Elite Refuge Member

Lee

Thanks for the info. Ive been watching alot of that stuff on eBay for awhile now. I figured I would let guys like you work out the bugs in the new systems this year and then build mine for next season. ;) Ill be keeping an eye on your site for an update!

4. snowgoosegear

snowgoosegear Senior Refuge Member

The MP3 / amp caller is something that I had been thinking about for a long time but didn't finish up until about a week ago. If/when I have time I will post to my site. One little thing I found is a "pre amp" that you connect to your MP3 & then connect the pre-amp to the car amp. The pre amp boosts the signal from the MP3 into the car amp & adds another 30% volume (estimate). The beauty of the MP3 caller is no moving parts & it is more compact overall than a car stereo caller. The disadvantage is that its more than one piece of equipment (mp3 + pre amp + amp). So, to each his own but I like messing around with this type of stuff. Keep up the great work tinkering on this type of stuff & thanks to the guys who posted pics, etc.

Lee

5. Triple BB

Triple BB Elite Refuge Member

I'm running a 300 watt system that you can hear at least a mile away on a calm day. Had an old factory deck in the attic along with two pairs of 100 watt speakers and a 300 watt amp. All of it left over from when I've upgraded car systems over the years. I use a full size deep cycle marine battery, because it is constantly being run down and recharged.

6. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I run an azden wlx-pro mike system (85.00 e-bay) with an mp3 player that i picked up at Wal-mart for 60.00 and a radio shack 50 watt horn (20.00) . The mp3 player and transmitter are on me and the speaker and receiver are placed where you want it. Have used it for coyotes and crows quite successfully and getting ready to use it on snows. Best thing about it is no wires, light weight and decent battery life. I buy the CD's and down load them into my computer then upload them into the MP3 player.Also the transmitter range lets me set the speaker away from my calling station, with coyotes I go about 75 yards and with crows 20 yards.

7. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

I used the marine speakers on mine and like the sound much better. They are not as loud as the power horns but with the power horns you can't hear the low feeding growls and murmurs that the snows make. I felt that the sound quality was much better with marine speakers than with power horns. Just my thoughts.

8. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

I recently hooked up some old car speakers I had onto my caller in addition to the horns. They definitely have better sound quality and spread the sound out better. When the birds get close, I turn it down and the car speakers distribute the sound pretty nicely. I like the mix.

9. Chris Hustad

Chris Hustad Senior Refuge Member

I'm running something similar to win4win's.

I'm using CD/MP3 (4x50 w/ remote) to 4 30w speakers. My buddy has the exact same rig but is using 4 125w speakers. They don't have the distance but with the bass and the mp3 file we're using the grunts/murmers sound spectacular.

My question is....at what speaker wire distance are you losing sound quality? I know at some point it degrades but couldn't remember at what length. I'm currently using about 20 ft. lengths but we could always solder on more.

10. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Chris, depends on the size of wire you are using. A good 16 ga. will be plenty for 100 ft. You can get a spool of 100ft. of brown speaker wire at radioshack and hook up both ends while its on the spool and test it out. See what the results are, I've never really tested it and would like to know. For every foot of wire you lose a little quality because wire itself has some resistance, but I'm not sure if there is a definitive point at which it drops off steeply.