California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Franks Tract Futures

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Alejo Kraus-Polk, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Alejo Kraus-Polk

Alejo Kraus-Polk New Member

Hello,

CDFW has initiated a restoration planning process for Franks Tract. Information about the project can be found on the project website: https://franks-tract-futures-ucdavis.hub.arcgis.com/

As part of the stakeholder outreach, the team has created a map-based user survey intended for people who live, work, play, and hunt on the Tract:

https://app.maptionnaire.com/en/6547/

If you spend time on Franks Tract we would love to hear from you!

Thank you.

2. RefugeHunter

RefugeHunter Elite Refuge Member

This is not a restoration project. It's a project to destroy Frank's Tract in order to protect the intakes of the canals from salt water intrusion so they can pump even more water down south without pesky interference from environmental impacts on salmon or delta smelt.

They plan to build a dam and fill a third of Frank's Track with dredge spoilings dredged from the East side of the dam and then dumped on the West side. Their little diagram even shows "natural channels" in the filled area but it will never be natural. Dredge spoilings are literally a slurry that the slightest current or moving tides will wash away. So they will have to wrap it with rock facing to keep it from slip sliding away. Any "channels" would simply give the delta the opportunity to suck away any dredge spoilings. The remainder of Frank's Tract will be deep water which will no longer be conducive to the waterfowl habitat that it is now.

They are going to simply insert a huge plug into the heart of the delta to protect the water interests of SoCal and the Southern San Joaquin Valley.

This is being spun as good for fish, good for ducks and good for recreation with just barely a mention of the real agenda.

This is from the Franks Tract Futures Report document which is a link on the above document:

"However, resources to support continued recreational management and enhancement of the area are limited. Stakeholders and management agencies could all benefit from new “resources” directed at positive change on Franks Tract."

"New resources" ???? What is that? Where did these resources come from?
    "Positive Change" ????? Really? Who decided that? In fact who decided that change is needed?

It's a crock!

Follow the money. See who's putting up the new resources money and you'll see the agenda behind the spin.

swingnmiss and WILDDUX like this.
  3. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

This has been on the books for a LONG time everyone that uses the delta knows about this already. The survey has also been around for years, if you use the delta or you're just against it fill the survey out using the names of everybody in your friends and family circle.
    They've already f***ed up the delta enough, this need to get squashed asap, but we all know how things work when big money steps in and starts paying off politicians. :mad::mad::mad:

4. Scott McMorrow

Scott McMorrow Senior Refuge Member

Alejo,

Welcome to the forum. You seemed to have picked a tough way to introduce yourself. I'm assuming you posted on here to solicit hunter input. Of course I cannot speak for everyone on here, but I'm guessing that most of us would not like to see any loss of hunting opportunity.

I was hoping you might answer a few pointed (yet polite) questions. Please know that in doing so, you may get flamed on this message board. If that happens, you might take comfort in knowing that it would not be the first time that happened to a person.

My first question is, where are you on the hunting issue? I see from your online presence that you are into rewilding. This is the first time I've heard of it, and had to look it up. The Wiki definition seems to lean toward non-consumptive use of wildlife.

I'm familiar with some of the consultants (ESA, etc.) listed for the project, and the ones I know of do solid work. I've worked on restoration projects, and public outreach is generally required for the CEQA/NEPA process. So, my other question is, are you seeking meaningful hunter input that will be considered in the alternatives? Or are you seeking hunter input so it can merely be included in the environmental document? I know, that was actually two questions.

I read in the kick-off meeting notes that hunting was stated as being on the decline in CA. I feel this trend should not be used as a reason to reduce waterfowl hunting opportunity in the Delta. If the resource is ducks, then the decline in hunting is irrelevant to the need for maintaining healthy waterfowl populations.

Thank you for posting. I think you'll find a variety of opinions and positions on this board, but there is one constant: we are extremely passionate about our hunting lifestyle.

Cheers,
    Scott

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  5. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA. Moderator

:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow:tu

6. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator

Where have we heard this pearl before... “We are from the government and we are here to help”.

1911king and Winchester 1897 like this.
  7. Spoonie16

Spoonie16 Senior Refuge Member

“Restoration”....:doho_O

8. Alejo Kraus-Polk

Alejo Kraus-Polk New Member

Scott,

Thanks for the welcome. As you may have found out I am a graduate student at UC Davis. Our Davis group is responsible for the public outreach component of the planning process, which will result in a preferred design, that could then be taken to the next planning stage (EIR/EIS) if there is sufficient support.

Honestly, we have struggled to engage with the hunters of Franks Tract and would greatly appreciate additional information and guidance. We understand that a possible project could impact the current configuration of floating blinds. However, we are also aware that hunting opportunities might be created within a "restored" tidal marsh.

We would like to know more about hunting in the Tract currently.
    • Has hunting quality changed in the last several years? Are there trends of note?
    • Are there any major issues associated with the current permit system?
    We also want to know how a project might benefit hunting.
    • Would there be interest in marsh-based blinds? or perhaps located on a pond within a new island?
    • Could a restoration project enhance hunting on the Tract?

We have one hunter on our advisory committee but would be happy to add another if you, or another Tract hunter, are interested.

Happy to try my best to answer any other questions you or others have. If I don't have a good response, I can take your questions to our team.

Thanks,

Alejo

9. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Don’t be fooled guys. Your voice means nothing in the end. You don’t have enough money.

10. 1911king

1911king Senior Refuge Member

@Alejo Kraus-Polk ” However, we are also aware that hunting opportunities might be created within a "restored" tidal marsh. “

Can you give me an example of any restored marsh that has helped waterfowl hunting in the delta?

The key word in that statement is “MIGHT”. I for one have been on the delta for 30+ years and I’ve yet to see any govt agency help the hunting community. Or at least help my small circle of fellow hunters.

callinfowl likes this.