California Flyway Forum Sponsors

fried white fish recipe?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Icastnblast, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

These days we have a ton of bottom fish to eat. I vastly prefer corn meal crust these days. You'll never get "restaurant quality" fish and chips without a deep fryer that keeps temperature. OR....a Dutch oven or deep sided cast iron pot, a lot of peanut oil, a really good gas burner, and a deep fry thermometer that can keep the oil at 375 degrees. Then you're in tall cotton. I season the fish instead of the coating. Frank's Red Hot makes a seasoning powder that is heaven on fried fish when applied correctly.

Dandy

2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

The further in I got into this thread the hungrier I got.
    Question:
    You all know fish and frying it.
    Does lard figure in anywhere in good fish frying?
    For chicken it's great. French fries too.
    Any good for fish?

3. LeakyW8ers

LeakyW8ers Senior Refuge Member

Not sure about Saltwater fish, but spent a week fishing for walleye and northern pike in Ear Falls, Ontario and eating it for 2-3 meals a day fried in lard while there. Holy smokes nothing compares. Only dredged in cornmeal with Lawry's seasoned salt and pepper in it. No egg, no flour.

Aunt Betty likes this.
  4. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

We spent years trying to replicate my grannies fried chicken. Gave up finally and got a tub of lard. Was a food epiphany for me. Thanks for the reply

5. JRS

JRS Elite Refuge Member

Spot on with the heat. That makes or breaks batter fish. I use a large gas burner and I am cautious to not overload the oil- driving the temperature down.

freefall likes this.
  6. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

Frogs or fish.... nothing better than a good old red neck deep fry... just did flat fish last night. Add spices to you likin...only way we roll..

880CA904-B172-44DA-8204-EA06857E02CE.jpeg 2A50AED8-18E3-4D22-88FB-E86B762E7B6C.jpeg 766D6831-5C24-450C-98BE-4CC8C68A81E3.jpeg D47E5F5F-64C6-43B4-BE33-C18F3EA2014D.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  7. ibfowl

ibfowl Elite Refuge Member

100g tempura flour you can get it at (Ranch99 market) or Amazon to 100ml sparkling water and a pinch of salt. Whisk together, don’t worry about a few small lumps, they won’t hurt. Different brands vary slightly, so if it’s too watery add more flour and too thick add more water. Aim for the consistency of double cream. Add a pinch of salt to each piece of fish and a pinch to the flour. Make sure your fish is well chilled, and your soda water is ICE cold, which is key for any battered fish, meat or veg. I like adding 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice to the batter.

8. Favaloro

Favaloro Elite Refuge Member

mak2782 likes this.
  9. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Take fillets and put in a bowl large enough to hold em all. Squirt some mustard, not a lot but enough to coat fillets a bit. After rolling fish in mustard roll in seasoned cornmeal and flour, fry until golden brown and enjoy.

ibfowl likes this.
  10. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

Can almost hear the arteries hardening.... :flame

freefall likes this.