California Flyway Forum Sponsors

fried white fish recipe?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Icastnblast, Aug 17, 2021.

1. DUCKTWK

DUCKTWK Elite Refuge Member

Add a lil Sriracha to the egg gives it a nice bite

2. Jeff Gray

Jeff Gray New Member

Instant pancake mix, the kind that you just add water...
    mix some seasoning into it, like Tony Chachere's, quantity of pancake mix depends on the amount of fish your cooking
    coat the fish in flour and stage on a cookie sheet / platter, mix beer into the seasoned pancake mix, I prefer a Alaskan Amber but the **** that came in the white can with the black writing is what Grandma used to use...
    dunk the fish in the batter and then into a cast iron pan / dutch oven with enough oil (or lard) so that the fish can float around.
    your deep frying here and not pan frying. for panko fish (which is great but different) i use enough oil to just come half way up the fish and its more of a pan fry.
    chopsticks work really well for turning the fish over, but i usually use tongs and a spider for bigger pieces.
    put some newspaper on a cookie sheet with a rack over the top for draining the fish
    If the fish drains directly onto paper towels or newspaper I have found that it can get a bit soggy.

3. Bows Up

Bows Up Senior Refuge Member

Ling we ate last night was panko with chimichurri powder and a bit of salt. Enough avocado oil to coat the pan plus some more. Have used duck fat or coconut oil with good results. Spice it with whatever floats your boat. As others have said unless you overcook the heck out of it you can't go wrong.

4. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I was just going to ask if these recipes come with high cholesterol meds…

hunt'ngreen likes this.
  5. hunt'ngreen

hunt'ngreen Elite Refuge Member

Had a old friend back in the 80's who did a egg dipped recipe with instant potatoes on the browns out of Oroville, a different twist, but was pretty good.

6. vizsla2

vizsla2 Refuge Member

I make deep fried rockcod/ling quite often and it always comes out better than everyone else’s.

The secret is a heavy Saltwater brine for 30 min and don’t rinse.
    hit it w flour, coat in a wet batter and roll in panko.

Brining makes a big difference and will make it more moist.

7. bojingles

bojingles Elite Refuge Member

I haven’t read all of the replies so. It sure if it has been mentioned but in my opinion the secret to a good fish and chips batter is a combination of a couple of things. 1) use a darker beer as opposed to a lighter beer; 2) add club soda—that is what will give you that lift snd light/airiness to the batter and 3) just mix enough to incorporate—like any good batter do not over mix

8. mak2782

mak2782 Elite Refuge Member

Best friend fish i ever had was a buddies girlfriend in college made us guys dinner (she must have lost a bet at the sorority) she ground up corn flakes for the dry part of her batter. She used some sort of egg wash first.

Amazing!!

9. ibfowl

ibfowl Elite Refuge Member

This is my second favorite way to fry fish.:yes:tu

10. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Cook my frog legs like that as well. Any fried fish without cornmeal is just weird....