Friendly reminder on the first Cheyenne Bottoms fundraiser, Aug. 15.

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by golden boy, Jul 5, 2019.

1. golden boy

golden boy Elite Refuge Member

The Kansas Department of Wildlife Parks and Tourism has a plan to restore Cheyenne Bottoms with federal grant money, and Ducks Unlimited is helping by raising $300,000 in private dollars to continue the preservation of the area just northeast of Great Bend. The “Bring Back the Bottoms” campaign will help in the restoration of the largest inland wetland in the United States.

“Over the next few years, Ducks Unlimited is trying to raise additional funds for Cheyenne Bottoms specifically,” said Kansas Wetlands Education Center Director Curtis Wolf.

The first fundraising event on August 15 will be held at Camp Aldrich in Barton County. For more information on the fundraiser contact Josh Williams at Ducks Unlimited at 785-824-3833.

“A ticket for the fundraiser is a sponsorship with Ducks Unlimited,” Wolf said. “It costs $350 to be a sponsor and that goes towards helping Cheyenne Bottoms.”

The wildlife area quickly fills up with silt, which plugs water-control structures and other infrastructure needed. The project will mostly focus on replacing the aging pumps and water control gates and removing silt.

Neck Collar likes this.
  2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I hope they pack the house and put on a barn burner of a party and raise a heck of a lot of money. I'll spend about $150 or so for raffles and such at a fundraiser once a year, so this one's gonna be a little out of my league :l

Tuleman and Neck Collar like this.
  3. bandcollector

bandcollector Elite Refuge Member

And it's on a Thursday evening..

4. bandcollector

bandcollector Elite Refuge Member

5. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

The cheapest ticket is $350/2 ppl???? Hell they are even charging $275 FOR A YOUTH NOT TO BE ABLE TO EVEN GO TO THE EVENT...
    only 300 tickets available...

6. nick b

I don’t think you (or me) are the target audience for this event. I am purely speculating, but I’d guess the goal is to raise $1000/head and get the $300,000 they need to get going.

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Is Cheyenne Bottoms a place where high-rollers frequent?

8. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

Same as at DU dinners.

9. nick b

Maybe, who knows. I’m sure there are probably some people with money who have land they hunt in the area and are interested in CB being in good shape as it benefits their hunting as well.

There is nothing wrong with DU hosting a high dollar fundraiser to get things done quickly versus 5-10 that raise 30-40k each. Don’t forget, the money they raise will benefit us low-rent public hunters too...

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Valid points, Nick however it does give pause for contemplation of the game within the game.