California Flyway Forum Sponsors

From CWA's website written by their Biological staff.....Mallards 7 vs. 5

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by CalBaer, Apr 6, 2021.

1. CalBaer

CalBaer Elite Refuge Member

I can't take credit for finding this. It was Dom. But I "feel" it needs to have its own thread as it provides information on CA mallard populations and setting bag limits. I tried to explain this at the Regs meeting but was obviously not effective. The Board needs to follow the science of its own organization. Otherwise, the future of waterfowl hunting in CA is in jeopardy.

https://www.calwaterfowl.org/faq-bpop-survey/#limits

2. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Off with the Boards heads!!!!

3. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

That was simple enough for me to understand. Maybe the need at this point is to unpack and detail the math formulas [aka show the math]to persuade the skeptics.

4. Wood-Dro

Wood-Dro Elite Refuge Member

So Duck Validation License sales have decreased 22% in the last 20 years. Wouldn't there be some assumption that the harvest rates would somewhat parallel those license sales? So less hunters taking less ducks but the populations continue to decline. I would think that suggests more of a habitat issue vs. over harvest? I couldn't find the harvest numbers for the last 20 years.

Whatever, Huntsprig and Ravenanme like this.
  5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Along with the ability of todays hunters , is all the effective decoys , spinners and camo , don't forget the calls ? With pastures being turned into Almond
    Orchards far into the Riparian areas of our Central Calif corridor , Mallards are learning to stay in towns , where the bread is easier to find !

6. Cutem'all 2

Cutem'all 2 Senior Refuge Member

Well that was easy to understand. Who ever wrote that should get a promotion and teach others how to write! Where it went awry was the belief that dissent has an equitable stake in this argument.

This is one of the reasons I am not nor will ever be a “life time” member of any organization.

marsh-mello likes this.
  7. George

George Elite Refuge Member

Again, it would be really interesting to see the notes or minutes of the board and committee to learn how or why they went against science and recommendations.

For clarification and transparency these notes should be released to CWA members.

double limit, Tommyo and toulon like this.
  8. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Elite Refuge Member

I wonder about these surveys . I think they miss a lot of area that maybe isn’t traditional ,but holds lots of mallards

Hossdog, Brottboss and Dan Mallia like this.
  9. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

California Corporations Code Sections 6333/8333 - "The accounting books and records and minutes of proceedings of the members and the board and committees of the board shall be open to inspection upon the written demand on the corporation of any member at any reasonable time, for the purpose reasonably related to such person's interests as a member."

You can get the minutes by simply sending a written request. I'd suggest doing it via registered mail if you are serious.

10. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

Like the foothills.
    Find a farm in the foothills, any farm, and they hold mallards and honks for the most part.